The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 - dude this rocks - as per one juvie!

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Overgrowth 
#1 ·
funny, sad, but true story of addiction and wild times.

so i added CO2, put it right in the flow of my intake (it's a DIY) well within minutes i had a juvie in the stream happily sucking in CO2 bubbles ... hmm... after an hour i took the CO2 out, and he went about his bsns. When i put it in again later that afternoon.. there he was again...
same thing next day
and next...
no matter how many times i chased him away he always went right back the minute the CO2 went into the tank... his spot RIGHT in front of the CO2 stream.

so i nick named the 'little dude' stoner..

last night guess who died? yup, i was sad to see the little guy go... though i told him CO2 huffing was not healthy and chased him away multiple times.

#6 ·
i set the return to make bubbles and he was not impressed and took off... he only liked those CO2 bubbles...

i miss little stoner...

if i figure out how to get my diy down to like 1 bubble every 10-30 seconds i'll try it again... for now... no more co2 :(

#8 ·
Lol

#15 ·
I did the dyi co2 for a while to.did you use a bubble counter and filter?if not you can make one out of a 160z coke bottle.just fil it 3 quarter way ful with water and make 2 holes in the cap the one coming from the co2 bottle all most down about 1 inch from bottom and cut the end of the hose at a angle and the other one the hole you made put the hose a inch or two down. it should not touch the water and that end of the hose goes to your defusser or like you were using it.this is filter the co2 coming out of the co2 bottle so nothing will get to the water.make sure you silicone the 2 hoses good so thay don't leak and that should work.i used one 2 litter bottle of dyi co2 in my 20 gallon and was not enough for my 20 gallon.i would say to start out with one and add another ofter a week or so if you need it.hope this helps.good luck and hope you can make out what I am saying about the 16oz bottle make as a bubble counter and filter the water so nothing will get by it and to your tank but the co2.

#18 ·
okay i have a VERY active yeast cycle going and trust me it would blow up anything. my air stone was not 100% when i started and the water bottle i was using as a bubble counter started making 'odd' noises when i checked it out it looked stretched out and ready to explode.. the air stone popped off in my hand when i touched it! (I took a nail to the inside of it and fixed it)

i just remade my mix (i "may" have been heavy handed with the yeast the 1st time) and so far by sticking to the 1/4 tsp yeast NOTHING.. it's been HOURS... boring... adding the whole yeast packet worked way better -- well except the dead shrimp part.

i also now have a air pump (oops) so i can counter act any overdoses ...

and apparently A LOT of the shrimp liked the CO2 soon as i started the air stone a BUNCH of juvies came over and hung out by the air... after a few hours they gave up and left (no fun just watching air i guess) ... apparently in my tank CO2 huffing is legal
--
sure they 'get busy' right out in the open while the others are all munching away at feeding time, they get stoned... somehow those wine bottles holding up my clamp on lights over the tank are very appropriate all of a sudden. ... hmm...

#20 ·
okay, i made a new CO2 mix (didn't use the whole yeast packet, i used 1/4 tsp and WAITED overnight ... boring) it's WAY slower and i'm trying it again.. i have air going into the tank too... (my bubble counter is not working or my tank is always perfect - yea, right)
--
i ended up loosing 4 (YES FOUR) shrimp including 2 berried :(
-- yea, i know their cherries they have a ton of babies .. but I killed them and I feel bad!
wish me luck... I am SOOOO stressed it's not funny...
--
If i bit the bullet and get a 'disposable' CO2 system can i set it at a REALLY low count (like 1 bubble every 5 seconds?) .. which one is reliable.. I feel SOO bad... the tank is ON my dining room table (it's where we do everything, eat, school, hang out .. think kitchen - i'm just not a formal person) so a 5 lb tank is out of the question (as is the filter is on a chair and the air pump under it)
--
if i was handy i'd make a rustic looking stand for next to the table and have a place to hide stuff.. i'm not.. :( -- i own some screw drivers, and a drill that's it... (but i CAN assemble any piece of junk furniture you can find!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.