The Planted Tank Forum banner

5 Gallon shrimp tank

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  zacheyp 
#1 ·
I'm planning a 5 gallon shrimp tank! I'm undecided on whether i will keep CBS, CRS, or both? If both are kept will I get some of each (i know the black gene is dominant) or would i get ugly hybrids? thx

#2 ·
You should get some of each. The quality depends on the breeding pairs. Sometimes you get some CBS that has not-so-dark black (to almost brown) on the black parts but that's normal. You get those from CBS x CBS too. Oh, and golden is possible too, again depending on the genes of the parents.

#4 ·
I would probably start with a dozen, maybe 15. I like to get juveniles of about 1/2" or bigger, but not full adult. Then, while they settle into the new tank and grow, they reach breeding age about the same time. Putting full adults in can be hit or miss as sometimes they struggle to adapt to a new tank.

#8 ·
My opinion is ratio doesn't matter but starting with more CRS is probably a good idea (mainly because I like the red bee shrimps more than black). One male can mate multiple females especially the dominant one in the tank, so male/female ratio is important if you want to control the CRS/CBS ratio. CBS will throw CRS babies too.

You can always remove the colour you get too many of later on. The first step is to make them happy and breed like rabbits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.