The Planted Tank Forum banner

$1.50 nano [in tank] CO2 reactor

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  psalm18.2 
#1 ·
I made this reactor with two things in mind: cheap and quick.
It is made of a stockings container, purchased from Walgreens for 60 cents, a bioball, and a Toms mini pump I had laying around. I have no means of measuring my CO2 concentration in my tank, so hopefully someone will make one and test its efficiency.

Keep in mind this has only been tested on low pressure applications, such as DIY yeast mixtures. I have no clue how it will work with pressurized CO2 [if at all].

A couple of things I've learned in my experience, the pump's flow rate makes a difference, varying the flow rate translates to dissolving rate. Too strong of a flow and the bubbles will escape undissolved, and too weak of a flow will result in slow dissolving.

materials: stockings container (make sure it's soft plastic, the rigid ones crack), airline nipple, drill and bits, pump, bioball, airline

Drill small holes into the lid of the container for water to escape

finished product should look like this

tap pilot hole into bottom of container

I used these bits, increasing the size until desired hole diameter was obtained

You want to use a bit that is the same size or perhaps a smidge smaller than the outlet of your pump

it should fit snugly

tap a hole for the nipple [man, that sounds smexy]

insert the bioball, cap off the container

voila

the 5.5gal CPD/RCS tank with new reactor

gratuitous tankshot

Finally, if anyone does get a chance to test this out, please post your findings!

See less See more
#9 ·
lol! I do have small hands:hihi:, but I have seen the small ones as well as the ones I used. They are large enough to fit an average bioball [~1"]. Another place I've seen them are those $0.25 toy dispensers they usually have in front of walmart or even at those big chain buffet restaurants. Sorry it's such a hassle to get one, but at least it's cheap! Also, if they're rigid plastic, they'll be difficult to drill. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.