The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 for Nano

23K views 107 replies 29 participants last post by  M. F 
#1 ·
Hello all, I just go my finnex 4 gallon and all I am waiting on for is my Amazonia to come in and to get a CO2 setup for the tank and I have a few questions regarding CO2.

I saw this for sale online.

It is only 30 dollars and I wanted to know how I can use this for my tank and with a paintball canister? Does this fit on a paintball canister and do I need to buy anything else to make this work??

See less See more
#3 ·
I found it on eBay from a seller I have bought from before. Not sure if I can post his user ID but an eBay search for simple co2 regulator will bring this up.

Is there some sort of adapter I can use to make it fit? Or can you link me to a really cheap and I mean cheap CO2 canister that will fit this regulator. I was thinking paintball since they are like three dollars for a small cylinder which I hear can last months in a nano tank.

#4 ·
I found a seller of the exact same item, and under the pictures they had "can't fits paintball cylinder" written underneath. I am not sure what type of cylinder it would fit. Maybe a small small one from a scuba set or welding supply?

#7 ·
#12 ·
By reading the questions asked by possible buyers in the listing the seller knows just about nothing about what they are selling. Would really be sure to ask questions before buying.

#13 ·
After looking at quite a few small regulators, I've decided that if it doesn't say paintball, it won't. There are small CO2 tanks (like big disposable cartridges) that many of them look like they would fit.

#18 ·
Well to me it looks like the reg i linked pretty much has all you need needle valve on a reg.. I can't imagine what else you would need unless you wanted to put a solenoid on there. Unless that on/off would be the "manual" solenoid, turning the co2 off at night by hand. which i suppose you could do.

#22 ·
If you want to turn the CO2 off you will need a simple on/off valve.. the reg should screw on top of that if i'm imagining the setup right. That regulator only has a needle valve for controling CO2 flow, and you wouldn't want to mess with that every morning and night.

As far as cycling with the lights, I'm not sure but that's what I'd do, I've never had anything beyond a DIY actually running on my tank for more than a couple weeks, and I just left the setup on 100% of the time when I did.

#24 ·

Hey everyone, I just got my regulator and bought a 88 gram CO2 tank from wal-mart for 5 dollars. Also my diffuser was only five dollars making this a grand total of 45 dollars!

Plugged into my new finnex which I will start a thread on soon. It is producing a ton of bubbles and I have no clue as to how to read the gauge and how much CO2 is enough... right now I am getting tons of bubbles. I will post more pics when I start my thread.

I have a question. How long can I expect this tank to last in a 4 gallon finnex?

#26 ·

Hey everyone, I just got my regulator and bought a 88 gram CO2 tank from wal-mart for 5 dollars. Also my diffuser was only five dollars making this a grand total of 45 dollars!

Plugged into my new finnex which I will start a thread on soon. It is producing a ton of bubbles and I have no clue as to how to read the gauge and how much CO2 is enough... right now I am getting tons of bubbles. I will post more pics when I start my thread.

I have a question. How long can I expect this tank to last in a 4 gallon finnex?
Is this still working for you? Are you able to adjust the flow and hold it steady?

#28 ·
I wouldn't imagine that the canister would last very long. it's pretty small. you can get 20oz CO2 tanks for paintballing for just about $20.

Is that the CO2 regulator that I linked? or a different one?

#29 ·
Same exact one you linked me to. I think I am going to purchase another one and two 20 oz cylinders. Where is the cheapest place to get the 20 oz ones? They had em at wal-mart but they were empty and were over 20 dollars. Anywhere else that sells and fills em?

#30 ·
Hmm. Many on ebay for cheap as well as a google shopping search. The cheapest 20 oz I can find is the "Pure Energy 20 oz paintball". Many are going on Ebay for around $15 buy it now.
Craigslist might also be an option, people get bored of paintball all the time.
A paintball park, supply or sporting goods store should have them for sale and can fill them.

#31 ·
Thanks Aqua'd I guess I will go to a sporting goods store and see what I can find. I ordered the bubble counters on eBay so I can start seeing how much CO2 is getting into the tank so I can make sure it's gonna be safe for shrimp/tetras. Keep on the lookout for my new nano thread coming soon. (Maybe next week).

#34 ·
I was interested in trying this out as well so I'm glad I'm not the guinea pig. Keep us updated on your setup and also you should get a drop checker so you can tell how much co2 is enough. Like someone mentioned just check Craigslist for 20oz bottles as sometimes you can find a great deal from some retiring paintball enthusiasts.

-My biggest worry comes from not having a consistent and accurate needle valve so lets hope this one works out for you.

#35 ·
Sorry everyone I have been kept busy this week with exams! But tomorrow I will have all day to post and relax. (Main reason I started planted tanks, relaxing). Anyways It is working well! Really well although my bubble counter is still being shipped from overseas. It is a glass bubble counter from eBay. I got it because I think it looks cool. I also remembered I still have a 20 dollar gift card sitting in my wallet for a sporting goods store so I'm gonna buy a 20 oz CO2 bottle and have it filled there too!

Well like I said I will post tomorrow, last hard day and I get to relax tomorrow and enjoy calculus the musical, it's going to be at my school tomorrow! I am excited, haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.