The Planted Tank Forum banner

LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0

401K views 4K replies 300 participants last post by  Qckwzrd 
#1 ·
Hello New Yorkers,

This thread would be dedicated to let every one know what's going on with LFS (Local Fish Store). Some members of this forum started to post some updates from some of the LFS and I thought that I would be a good idea to make one specific thread that every one can look constantly.

I work near by Win Tropical and Pacific World and I would keep you guys update on their stocks. Feel free to PM is you have any particular question because I won't post every single thing that they have, but I would happy to check for you.

Please feel free to review and recommended any other store.

PD. If you find any grammar mistake or want to add more please PM me!!!

Cheers,

Jose:fish::fish:

#3,938 ·
Monsters Aquarium

Went to Monsters, beautiful store, drove there from Brooklyn, worth the time and traffic, picked up some Amano Shrimps $3.00 each. Then went to Fish Town USA, picked up 18 cardinal tetras $1.00 each, and some loaches were on sale polka dot botias. Out of 18 cardinals by next morning just 4 servived, polka dot loaches developed ich in my quarantine tank. Now on treatment. All alive. I did not expect to pick up sick fish from Fish Town USA.

#3,946 ·
Went to Monsters, beautiful store, drove there from Brooklyn, worth the time and traffic, picked up some Amano Shrimps $3.00 each. Then went to Fish Town USA, picked up 18 cardinal tetras $1.00 each, and some loaches were on sale polka dot botias. Out of 18 cardinals by next morning just 4 servived, polka dot loaches developed ich in my quarantine tank. Now on treatment. All alive. I did not expect to pick up sick fish from Fish Town USA.
Cardinals are wild caught and always have a chance of getting a super stressed batch. I have had problems like that to. They get moved so much before they land in the store. Usually the trip to a new place does them in. Same experience I've had.

-Chris

#3,948 ·
They usually have rummys. I have 21 in my tank from monster. They have a nice selection of driftwood too. I can't speak to their pricing.

Parking is free for 3 hours in the mall across the street. Sometimes I just park illegally in front.

I bought a 3" golden discus from monster. He's doing great. Love that store. VERY clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3,959 ·
Why don't you just call Petco and ask when they'll be on sale. They may know or be able to give you a better idea than we can. But I don't think it will be for $1. I don't think I've ever seen them for sale anywhere for $1.

#3,969 ·
I work down the street from it. They've upgraded tremendously, and are a much better LFS today than they were even a few years ago.

The selection is actually quite nice, and they don't really overstock their tanks the way most stores would. They even have a number of invertebrates tanks. I picked up Nerites, Ghost (Whisker) and Amanos from them that have all done really well.

I actually stop in somewhat regularly now, if only to check out what they've got. They had a great deal on rabbit snails a bit ago, but someone bought most of them up.

Speaking of sales, the Ghost shrimp (actual Ghost, not Whisker) they have in stock right now are on sale for 53 cents a pop.

#3,970 ·
Thank you so much for update, always loved AquaStar and WinsTropical. Completely unaware when Win closed, and was in shock to hear from AquaStar owner that they're closing shop but possibly opening new spot. Seeing Chinatown gentrified "williamsburg style" truly breaks my heart. Our beloved spots replaced with organic fair trade brunch coffee shops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.