The Planted Tank Forum banner

New filter?

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  ADJAquariums 
#1 ·
Ive just recently got a new source of income and now that i have enough, i want something new, ive always done HOB filters and never done Canisters (atleast i believe they are called that) can anyone give any tips or recomendations on Canisters?

the thing is ive got Panda Garras that really like fast flowing water and a Canister outlet pipe is the perfect place for them to swim up, is there anything that can go on the outlet portion of the filter that wont hinder water flow but stop the sneaky little Panda Garras?

Ive got a 40 tall and pretty much at max stocking capeabilities for my current HOB's, i still have plans on a few more fish, ive also got a heavily planted tank which could help with filtration a bit but im thinking in the long run a canister filter might be the way to go.

#2 ·
A spray bar output will take care of the fish going into the outflow.

Your going to get recommendations for every brand canister filter on the market. The fact is, they all work, and generally very well. Every brand has had a few lemons. Every manufacturer has put out a lemon or three. Most stand behind their products and quickly repair or replace. The less expensive "Chinese knock offs" won't and don't have the support a Fluval or Eheim will provide. The price doesn't cover it. Along that line, I have a Chinese knock off of the Eheim Pro series and my only complaint is that at almost double the water capacity, it's heavy. (aww...)

If you are worried about service, purchase your canister filter from a local vendor. You'll pay more, but the peace of mind from a local dealer should help.

My pitch, having used most of the filters on the market over the last several decades?
Eheim. ;-)
It's really hard to better the classic series. For a 40g tank, the 2217 should be perfect.

or Fluval
or API
or ...

#7 ·
I disagree. I have a 2215 w/ a 2217 impeller on a 20 long. It has way more flow than I need, though I like a lot of flow. I used it with the stock impeller on a 29 gallon with no issues, I would say a "normal" amount of flow for a high tech planted tank, not excessive, which I like. I think a 2217 would be perfectly adequate for a 40 gallon tank. I personally would want more flow but it would be fine.

My brand vote is Eheim. But, as stated, most brands are good. Not sure how much flow you want so pick a size. At minimum for low tech you are going to want the water to turn over 3x per hour. Many of us go well above that to 10x per hour. Some go really high, like 15x per hour.

What that means is if you have a 40 gallon tank, for 3x per hour, you need a flow rate of 120gph. Real, not advertized because most are advertized high. They aren't necessarily lying to you, they just rate it level (not under a tank) without any media inside. That's just not accurate for how we use them, not sure why manufactures do that.

Sorry if that sounds convoluted but just try to get an idea of where you want to be flow wise, with 3 being pretty low, 10 being high, and multiply that number by your tank size, which in this case would be 40.

#4 ·
I never much liked canister filters, they always seemed to difficult to maintain and clean. It is nice that you can store them under the tank and get the tank much closer to the back of the wall.
I am intrigued by the new fluval G canisters

If you want to stick with HOB I always like the emperor filters http://www.marineland.com/products/...peror-saltwater-filter-freshwater-filter.aspx
Ran a 55 fish only saltwater tank off of the large one years ago with out a problem.

#5 ·
Hmm, so many to choose from, what would you guys (or gals) think is the best for the tank i have along with stock?

40 gallon tall 23x31x12.5 Inches (these are very rough the tank is actually like 38 or 39 but 40 is just easier and more common)

In all i want a total stock of
2 Angelfish
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Dwarf Gourami (questionable still)
4 Panda Corys
3 otto's
6-8 Rummynose Tetras
2 Neon Tetras
3 panda garras

In all i want Superb filtration, i also do weekly water changes of 30%

#6 ·
Would be wise to skip the Dwarf Gourami, these fish have so many problems they shouldn't even be in the hobby yet they are commonly sold just about everywhere despite the fact they generally don't last long in a community tank.

I should read the link below before bothering with this species. I'm glad I read this because I was planning on including one in one of my aquariums as well.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/dwfgdis.htm

#14 ·
I never add larger filters which are expensive and a lot of maintenance just to increase flow. For that I use a simple cheap powerhead that can be hidden wherever needed much easier than filters.
To me the filter has to do a good job filtering, that's all. The circulation is a good job for a pump. I use 2217's on 75's and add powerheads.

#21 ·
I have a 2217 and a 2026 on my 120p, I broke my QD the 2026 and it was down for a week or so. The 2217 handled the tank just fine, I almost considered just getting a PW just for the co2 but I found a sale for the QD that I couldn't pass up.
IMO you will be fine with the 2217 for the time being, if you find you need more flow down the line just add a PW or go with another can if you can afford it.

#25 ·
A 2217 would not suffice for a 40g only if you are injecting CO2 and ferting regularly into the water column.

Otherwise, a 2217 is enough.

Instead of talking about flow, it's more prudent to understand why you need flow in the first place. It's not universally necessary or even preferable.

If you do need the high low, you don't need to get two 2217s. You can get a 2217 and a power head to increase flow. It's more mechanical clutter in your tank but much more affordable and less to maintain.

Also, there's no problem with turning your filter off and cleaning it. If your tank is established and not critically stocked, you'll be fine.

Two 2217-sized filters is a luxury on a 40G lol.

#27 ·
A 2217 would not suffice for a 40g only if you are injecting CO2 and ferting regularly into the water column.

Otherwise, a 2217 is enough.

Instead of talking about flow, it's more prudent to understand why you need flow in the first place. It's not universally necessary or even preferable.

If you do need the high low, you don't need to get two 2217s. You can get a 2217 and a power head to increase flow. It's more mechanical clutter in your tank but much more affordable and less to maintain.

Also, there's no problem with turning your filter off and cleaning it. If your tank is established and not critically stocked, you'll be fine.

Two 2217-sized filters is a luxury on a 40G lol.
I don't fert or use CO2 regularly, so i think that a 2217 would be ok

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.