The Planted Tank Forum banner

Wondering what to dose in 29g 65watt tank

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  bsmith 
#1 ·
I have a 29g tank with 65w 6700k bulb on it. i have all low light plants in this tank. anubias,moss,crypts,java and needle leaf fern,anubias.
im wondering what i should dose in this tank. ive been doing a 7-8hr light period. ive had some gsa and bba appear recently. i dont have any co2 on this tank and thinking i need it with the 65w on a 29g!

other than co2 what should i dose?
i have seachem ferts till i get dry ferts next month, im only dosing excel starting last week for algae problem, nothing else yet.
so can i get away with no co2 for a time without algae?
tanks been setup cycled for near 4 months, has fish to lol

#3 ·
i ment to say what should i dose on this tank. im not dosing ferts on this tank other than excel!
i started excel last week for the algae. im not dosing anything else yet, im wondering what to dose and not overdose since there tanks not packed full of plants.

sorry i confused it posting lol
if i need to post pic of tank i will tomorrow.

#4 ·
I have a similar tank with pretty much the same plants including some swords. I use 65 watts of lighting for about 4 hours and then a total of 85 watts for the last hour for a total photo period of only 5 hours. Any more and I was getting algae. My tank is algae free and my plants look great. I do not dose any C02 and use Kent Iron supplement once a week and some Jobes plant sticks (from Walmart- house plant variety) for the swords once a month. This is a pretty cheap dosing plan and it works great for me. A better alternative is to purchase some dry fertilizers and then just dose that as needed. However, I find my routine to be sufficient.

#7 ·
I would just try a cut-down version of E.I. Maybe a 1/4 or less. See Toms pages about non-CO2 tanks on the barrreport.com. I have a non-CO2 tank with natural soil that gets doesed with one dosing of E.I. ferts every 2-3 weeks. Things grow well. The lighting is just 2 four foot 2x overdriven bulbs in a shop light. If you add Excel you would want to add more ferts than I do.

#8 ·
I would at least get some diy co2 cooking on your tank. I had the same setup as you on my 29g. I used 2 3L soda bottles with 3c of sugar in each and 1/4 tsp of yeast for co2. I also dosed EI. For a ~30g tank you need 1/4 tsp kno3 and 1/16 tsp of K and P 3x's a week. Dose your seachem micros on opposite days. ~50% water change once weekly to reset. If you do this you will be able to fine tune it, but on my 29 with those specs this dosing was perfect.

#10 ·
Ditto, I ran the same setup too, only I just used 2 2liter bottles. The whole setup costs about seven bucks to do, and most of that will be the diffuser. I'd recommend limewood, works very very well. You could also just stick the co2 line into the filter intake. Either way, 55 watts is too much light to not be using CO2, and not dosing any ferts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.