The Planted Tank Forum banner

Newb Question: Importance of Testing?

945 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MistyRiver 
#1 ·
How important is it to test your water, and how often should you do it? Also, what should I be testing for? Sorry for the newbie questions... Just trying to figure things out.

I'm about to setup my tanks, but I figured I would place an order for test kits from Big Al's first. I was planning on getting the API master freshwater test kit, and API Gh and Kh test also. Do I really need to order all those, and is there anything else I should order?

Money is really tight, so I'm trying to cut off anything thats not necessary...

Thanks!

#2 ·
you usually test diligently while your cycling and also when it looks like somethings going wrong with your fish or plants. other than that i usually test everything once every 2 or so weeks just to make sure nothings out of whack. also, gh and kh you will need to know becuase soft water is ideal for most plants and most fish/shrimp (except africans and sulawesi shrimp) if youre not going for any high tech plants or sensitive fish/shrimp then you might not need the gh/kh tests, but its always nice to know.

hth!

#3 ·
If you have enough light that you're dosing ferts, it's good to have a nitrate and ideally a phosphate kit. It helps with dosing; lets you know if you're under or overdosing.

#5 ·
Just to give the other side, if you dose fertilizers by the Estimative Index method, where you make sure no nutrient is limiting the plants growth, but "reset" the tank weekly with a big water change, you don't need to test at all. Once you determine approximately what the GH of your tap water is, just to see if adding a GH booster is useful, you can put away the test kits and just enjoy gardening in your tank. Constant testing is of no value unless you also calibrate the test kits very often to make sure they indicate with acceptable accuracy. And, calibrating test kits very soon becomes nothing but drudgery - in fact doing the testing does the same.

I'm pointing this out just to let you know there are different ways to do fertilizing and maintaining a planted tank. Only you can decide what is best for you.

#6 ·
Thanks Hoppy for pointing that out. I like to hear everyones opinions and ways of doing things. I wont be adding ferts, but possibly DIY co2. Plants will all be pretty easy growing plants, and I'll be keeping a decent stalk of fish in here (breeding pair of guppies).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.