The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 injection questions

994 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  adamsaulnier 
#1 ·
I have a couple questions regarding co2 injection. I am looking at buying the Hagen Natural Plant system, but I want to make sure I have the correct hardware that I will need to make sure I do not suffocate my fish. I have seen these glass 'horn' type things that sit in your tank and change colors based on how much co2 is in your aquarium. What are these, and how expensive can they get? Is this the best thing our there, or are other ones better? Can you offer suggestions?

Also, do CO2 levels directly affect PH? Meaning, the more carbon dioxide, the lower/higher PH? If this is true, would I only need a sophisticated (or simple) PH tester that sits in the aquarium water to ensure adequate carbon dioxide levels? I have a 10 gallon aquarium, and would rather not spend a lot of money on these accessories since this is my very first tank. Also, I need to be able to order this stuff online. Ebay I have found does not have a lot of aquarium accessories that I am looking for.

#2 ·
Those things are called drop checkers. The colors change depending on the level of CO2 in the aquarium. They're not more than $25 or 30. Cheaper ones can be found. :)

Yes, CO2 levels will affect the pH in the tank. The drop checker is an easier and usually more reliable method of detecting CO2 levels than referring to a pH/kH chart.

Honestly, your DIY CO2 setup may barely produce enough CO2 for your 10 gallon tank; I wouldn't really worry about overdosing on CO2. Just get a drop checker and monitor the health of your fish. :)

#3 ·
Hagen Natural Plant system is a fancy DIY system with a ladder duffuser. You can make a DIY one for much less and rig a diffuser also.

The glass horn things are drop checkers. http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers.html They aren't needed so much with DIY co2 but they are useful to see where your co2 levels are.

Co2 does drop your ph but using a chart is rather inaccurate because there are so many factors that come into play.

I would put 1-2 2L bottles on your tank depending on how much light you are pumping in there. Just watch your fish to see if they are gasping or breathing funny. If they are back of the co2 or add an air stone.

If you have 2L bottles the parts to create a DIY system should only cost a few dollars. You only need a check valve or two, tubing and a t valve to make a simple system. Shipping might cost more than the parts.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.