The Planted Tank Forum banner

Newbie here Couple of questions

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  oakleyguy89 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I plan on doing a low light low tech planted 15gal. I plan on just having java moss, and anubias and not using c02. Will using fertilizer help much with a low tech tank? Theres only a petco in my area will they carry fertilizer if I need it? What kind of substrate should I use? I want to keep some ghost or maybe some cherry shrimp with some guppies and neon tetras in the tank. Will I need RODI water for the shrimp? Ive read that they are kinda hard to keep? Do you have to wait after cycling to put in plants? Also, is it best to buy a masters test kit? Im new to planted/freshwater tanks as I come from Reef Keeping.

#2 ·
I dose one of my low tech tanks but not the other. I would try it without dosing first. The fish waste may be enough. If you are only going to grow moss and anubias, I wouldn't worry about substrate too much. Neither of those should be planted in the substrate anyway.

I can't answer the RO question with certainty without knowing what your tap water is light, but probably not. I don't use it in any of my tanks, and in one of them I use the RO waste water!

Guppies and tetras may eat smaller shrimp (and definitely babies). Make sure you have a ton of moss for them to hide in if you're going to go that route.

Plants go in immediately. Don't wait for a cycle. Pack the tank early with lots of plants. The more the better.

I don't test any of my tanks. Others test religiously. I also came from reef keeping and was looking for something simpler, so I don't bother.

#3 ·
Your Questions

Hello oak...

A good, basic plant fert is needed, especially if you don't use CO2. I have several low tech (no CO2), low light tanks and dose a liquid fert weekly when I do my water changes.

Planted tanks are very simple if you change the tank water frequently, avoid the more demanding plants and have a source for the macro nutrients (fish produce these) and the micro nutrients (trace elements) from a commercial source in dry, liquid or granules.

Set up the tank and fully plant it right away and let everything run for a few days. Get your test kit and add a few hardy fish like Zebra Danios or Platys, they'll get the cycling process going.

Test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrites and change 25 to 30 percent of the water when you notice a positive test.

These are just some of the basics you'll need to follow.

B

#4 ·
Hello oak...

A good, basic plant fert is needed, especially if you don't use CO2. I have several low tech (no CO2), low light tanks and dose a liquid fert weekly when I do my water changes.

Planted tanks are very simple if you change the tank water frequently, avoid the more demanding plants and have a source for the macro nutrients (fish produce these) and the micro nutrients (trace elements) from a commercial source in dry, liquid or granules.

Set up the tank and fully plant it right away and let everything run for a few days. Get your test kit and add a few hardy fish like Zebra Danios or Platys, they'll get the cycling process going.

Test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrites and change 25 to 30 percent of the water when you notice a positive test.

These are just some of the basics you'll need to follow.

B
So I should do weekly water changes? I thought nitrates are a source of the plants food? Oh and where would I get fertilizer for the tank if needed? Isn't some fertilizers bad for shrimp too? Thanks!

#6 ·
You should google tom barr's low tech method or look it up on this site, and you'll get some really good info regarding keeping a low tech tank and not having to do water changes (only top offs) with dosing ferts once a week. I use this method on a 125g tank and it works really well, no algae, healthy plants, fish etc. The only drawback is very slow plant growth. But I'm lazy so it works out great for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.