The Planted Tank Forum banner

JOURNAL & HOW TO: My Emersed Tub (WEEK 90: UPDATE) 90 WEEKS!!!

8K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  Aulonocara_Freak 
#1 · (Edited)
This is going to be my journal and How To for my emersed tub!

Items Needed:
2 Shoebox size clear tubs
1 Large Clear Tub
Potting Soil (I prefer Miracle Grow Organic)
Drill & Drill Bit

DAY 1:
2 x Shoebox Size Clear Tubs

1 x Large Clear Tub (With Lid) Cat not necessary.

Time To Drill:
Drill as many holes as you in the bottom of the plastic shoe box (1/16 is the best size but anywhere from 1/16-4/16 is fine)

See less See more
#36 ·
Well I put the tub in another place where it got some more sun, and that was a FAIL. It killed the crypts, and set back on some other stuff. Everything left is what is in the updated pics below!

Ambulia:

Hygro Compacta:

Hygro Salicifolia:

Bacopa:

Narrow Leaf Ludwigia:

Hydrocotyle Sp.:

#40 ·
Not sure on what week it is, haha. But right before winter started I sold all of my stock and amazingly, even after the freeze's we've had, there's still some life in the tub! I'll be moving it indoors in the next week or so and I'll keep you all updated!

#44 ·
I just looking at the past pics you had and it seemed odd the stems expired on you. Was the tubs fully closed?
Also for anyone doing emersed with soil I would personally recommend one thing, Cap your soil. Use a layer of peat or play sand on top and it seems to work very well. I find it gets very messing and gross looking with soil alone, but peat and/or sand keeps it clean looking and well drained.

#46 ·
So roughly a year later...
The tank did amazing the first year and then once the weather started dropping below 30* F I practically sold all of my stock off. I let what was left sit outside over the winter and what not and checked on it every few month to add some more water. Roughly a month ago I cleaned up the dirt, collected what was left and threw something together in my 20g Long. What I have left however is some Hairgrass (IDK which specific type) and some more Hydrocotyle Sp.?

Here are some pictures taken today!

Bump: I'll get some better photos tomorrow when the humidity is not as high and I can get better photos.

#48 ·
Right now I just have the two shoebox size tubs covered with saran wrap and sealed with a wide rubber band around the plastic tub. Each tub has it's own plant species currently. The one with the Hydrocotyle has some Sagittaria in there too that seems to be growing slowly... The plan is to get some square plastic flower pots and do something more organized and then seal off the top of the tank with a sheet of plexi glass.

I will still have my outdoor tub running but probably with cheaper plants and "hardy" plants...

#49 ·
#50 · (Edited)
UPDATE!!!!!! Week 92!!!!!!

Got the smaller tubs back outside in the larger one and cleaned it all up.

As of now we have:
Rotala
Chain-Sword
Ludwigia Repen
Hydrocotyle
Hairgrass

I'm gonna let those go wild and see what happens.

PIC!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.