The Planted Tank Forum banner

Emersed questions

11K views 135 replies 14 participants last post by  Shrimpo_Brian 
#1 ·
I have a few questions about submersed to emersed transits and whatnot:

If I were to trim some stem plants submersed, would I just drop them in the setup? Or do I have to stick them in the soil?
For grassy plants, I just plant each individual plant in the soil?
If the plants die, I would expect regrowth within a few days, right?

I will have more questions along the way......

#5 ·
Well I am not an expert, but I started my micro sword emersed and it spread like crazy with minimal effort on my part. I just broke up the pot of micro sword into one or two blades and scattered them around my tank and they started growing runners. When I added water none of it died, but the new blades grew much narrower and taller and the old stuff curled over. I think that was because of the diffusing effect the water had on the light. I dont have any experience growing stem plants emersed, but I believe many plants you buy from the pet store are grown that way.

#8 ·
I put the clipping in Saturday. So what 3 days. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. My set up is crude at best. But I bought my micro swords like 5 months ago and they never really took off in my tank. They just became algae ridden and unsightly so I pulled them around a month ago. I put them in a Tupperware with potting soil, enough soil to cover the roots and then covered the soil with water. I used plastic wrap to cover the top and I use a simple 48" fluorescent bulb in a standard aquarium hood maybe 4" over it. Only light I had to spare. But man the micro swords have taken off. I'm hoping the whole Tupperware will be one big sword carpet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#15 ·
I just buried my micro swords so the roots are covered. I see other people here drill holes in the tubs and then set them in water. Is there a reason its done this way and not each tub filled with water? I'm only assuming but I'd think if u took a stem clipping and stuck it in soil then it would create roots as It does in submerged form. Or maybe u could float the clippings until roots show and then bury in the soil?

#24 ·
It's been going for over a month, and no sign of mold. I let the plastic wrap open every couple of days to exchange oxygen out. So far I've seen little bit of algae on the sides of the container but above the water line. One thing that I'm noticing and u can see in the pics is the bubbles on the surface, I used a topsoil that I didn't sift and I think that its maybe the debris breaking down and then gas escaping from the breakdown. But the plants seem great, I clipped some bacopa earlier And stuck the clipping in the soil and it fell over, I just went to shut the light off and the bacopa was already standing up towards the light awfully quick response. But we will see.

#26 ·
@ tattooedfool

when I grew my micro sword emersed I did it in fluorite and I kept the water level just below the gravel, your water level in your tub appears to be higher than the topsoil, which may be more than is necessary. But it looks good and if your not having any algae or mold troubles, I wouldnt change anything.

#42 · (Edited)
Okay, so I decided to make an experiment emersed setup with a small container, miracle grow organic choice potting soil, and a bacopa caroliniana clipping. Would I exercise some dying off and regrowth within 2-3 days? I keep it under a patio table with the umbrella opened, so it gets the light that shines through. Will that be enough light for the plant to survive? It gets to about 90-100, more or less, here in Austin, so will the umbrella reduce the temperature that gets into the container?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.