The Planted Tank Forum banner

So Maybe I Have A (20L) Shrimp Problem…

114K views 463 replies 79 participants last post by  somewhatshocked 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE: This journal documents two separate 20 longs. Read through to learn about them both.

A problem in that I just set up ANOTHER TANK a few weeks ago and it's nearly ready for shrimpy stocking. Nitrite spike is almost over and I'm excited, to say the least.

Not pretty, no, but here it is:

By far the least fancy thing I have ever put together. Killing me not to scape it like woah but I really want to focus on creating a terrific shrimp habitat. Hid it on the bottom shelf of my plant grow-out rack.

The goods:

• 20 gallon long
  • All kinds of Fluval Shrimp Stratum (approximately 7,000 pounds of it)
  • Random "Pagoda" stone, which works well in my public water
  • 4 giganto double sponge filters powered by a pump that's strong enough to scare me
  • Hydor heater
  • Marineland Double Bright LED Fixture
  • Random mosses (they're littered with decaying floaters right now - didn't have good lighting til today)
  • Frogbit, Salvinia, Duckweed, maybe some Anubias and chain sword when I get around do it, definitely more moss

It's going to be shrimp and snails ONLY. A few horned Nerites, Ramshorns and Neocaridina of some sort.

Cherries are my all-time favorite and I may stick with them. Toying with ordering some of those fancy Yellows from Rachel, though. Maybe I could divide the tank and have both.

And should I raise that light fixture up a bit? I can't decide.

Moral of the story: I have a problem and can't believe I have another tank ready to go. Guess it's time to start consolidating.

See less See more
#450 · (Edited)
Just thought I would tease something I've been working on for about two years:

It's a shrimp food that I doubt I'll ever be making in bulk because of the physical labor required. Not a fan of climbing trees at the ripe, old age of 31.

But I've been seeing some crazy results and increased breeding among my CBS colonies that I've been testing it on throughout 2013.

Also, if anyone wants to trade (human) bodies, that'd be appreciated. Not looking forward to climbing trees again any time soon.

#457 ·
Just thought I would tease something I've been working on for about two years:

It's a shrimp food that I doubt I'll ever be making in bulk because of the physical labor required. Not a fan of climbing trees at the ripe, old age of 31.

But I've been seeing some crazy results and increased breeding among my CBS colonies that I've been testing it on throughout 2013.

Also, if anyone wants to trade (human) bodies, that'd be appreciated. Not looking forward to climbing trees again any time soon.
is this the mulberry walnut ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.