The Planted Tank Forum banner

FX5 Current Help

913 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Tcal01 
#1 ·
my 90g has recently finished cycling and i have been thinking about stock for a really long time, basically before i even got the tank. i have noticed that the fx5 throws arounf a lot of current/water flow which i am worried about since i am going to be stocking the tank with some angelfish and possibly some other fish that arent well adapted for such high current. do you guys know of any way to reduce the current, whether it be on the filter itself or if i have to fabricate something? im not trying to make this tank a river biome or anything, thats for another time...

#2 ·
If you have some quick disconnects, you could reduce the flow on the output (not the input) side.

Alternatively, if you are using a spray bar, you could drill slightly larger holes, etc.

Even a sponge placed in front of the filter return would slow down flow.

#3 ·
Honestly the Flow isn't that strong for most fish. My Fx5 and Angels are perfectly fine and they have been in that tank for around 8 months. If you really want to slow it down, just pack tons of filter floss in the canister trays and that will lower you from 680 GPH to around 450 GPH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.