The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Plant Database...

78K views 46 replies 38 participants last post by  Cambrian Creature 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Plant Database (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php) has been updated and now has many new features.

It however could benefit from some user input. There is now an option to upload additional photographs for each plant. Any photographs you have would greatly help us out. To upload simply browse the the correct plant and click "Upload Photo".

Also the plant database could do with some more plants. If you have experience with a plant species not already listed, please take the time and submit a profile:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/addProfile/

Thank you,
Kyle

#2 ·
It's nice to see the "database" on the tool bar now. When clicking on "all plants" it only comes up with 5 or so plants on one page, and then I have to click on the other 5-6 pages to see the rest in sets of 5 plants. Is it possible to have all the plants listed on one page, so we could just scroll down. I think it would be easier to look up unidentified plants by looking at a long list of pictures and profiles, instead of 5 or so at a time.

Luigi

#3 ·
Looks good!
I'm definitely going to try to get some decent shots to add images and perhaps fill in a gap or two!

#18 ·
A suggestion: in the navigation panel on the left make MORE SORTING OPTIONS. Personally I'd like something along the following lines:

tall
medium
short
carpet
high light
low light
medium light
etc

The database is very good if you have a specific plant in mind, but if you're looking to say stock your tank or are looking for a style of plant, basically your only option is to scroll through 175 plant profiles and read thru each comment to find out how big it gets/light requirements....in this case you're better off googling the style or something

#20 ·
New ID

There are some great suggestions here to help improve this database. I love the concept behind it though!!! What a great way to learn about different plants from the personal experiences of others out there.

Fyi, i just add a profile for a Scarlet Temple.

#21 ·
Dear Kyle,

It is an amazing service. I like it. It will be fun, I am sure. I am a new member here. I have looked over the forum. This is really a helpful forum. By the way there has some topics without plant. I think they should be placed in another category.

Thanks. :)

#22 ·
Hi -- I love the database. Thank you!

I have a feature suggestion: would it be possible to create a "Favorite" function like what the "your tanks" section has? Or some other way for us to save or bookmark certain plants? I find myself seeing a plant I hadn't thought of and wanting to remember it, but the best way I can find to do so is to bookmark it in my internet browser, and I'm really bad at organizing those and finding things again.

Laura

#25 ·
Hi I'm having an aquarium of 750 liter the co2 is connected to one ceramic diffuser at one side at 5 bps I feel that the co2 is still not enough in the tank
The ph is 6.5 when co2 is working,when off it goes to 7.3
Why is the ph not remaining stable
My light 2 halide 150 w 20000 k
8 25w from ADA k ?
FISHES
Discus. 8
Neon tetra. 35
Cory. 5
Platy. 12
Guppy. 10
Black Molly. 4
Filter tetra ex2400 and dolphin 1000
Running with carbon,ceramic,sponge& black peat
Please let me know what I'm missing to have a planted tank beautiful
water temp 30
Plants
Anubias
Cabomba
mattogrossense 'Red'
Pogostemon erectus
Vallisneria

#26 ·
CO2 lowers pH.
CO2 + H2O <=> H2CO3 (carbonic acid) <=> H+ (proton) + HCO3- (bicarbonate ion)

your CO2 goes off, CO2 outgases, carbonic acid (which exists in equilibrium) converts to CO2, and outgases as well.
pH is not a good indicator of CO2 though. the pH and kh together tell you a decent amount in the absence of phosphates, but you have phosphate in your tank (i hope). you just have to figure out by the plants and animals whether you should have more, less, or are at the right amount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.