The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cataclysm Anyone?

3K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  NoRemorse76 
#1 ·
Anyone else excited for its release. I have the whole week off of work, paid! woot! I know I'm a nerd!

#5 ·
I've raided (world top 200, highest was #8th) since the game came out. I lost interest in BC but wrath did the opposite and got me back into it. All the changes they made to make it less of a grind is really nice compared to where it was in classic. I still do not like the PvP system so I'm interested in the rated BG's and how those go for cataclysm.

Love the fish reference in your name Matt

#6 ·
cool guys! Ya my guild is top 300's US. But I lost interest in the WOTLK. And had been playing since release of the game. Now that we are going back I'm interested again. BC kept my interest. But WOTLK did it for me. Im playing again, but just messing around till release!

Nice gear UD. We were server first on everything, and I quit about a week after we killed Yogg on 2 keepers, back when it was hard. lol.

#8 ·
Not for me anymore, played through Black temple in BC, managed to build my sulfuras hand of ragnaroos as an Enhancement shaman, I was a bit peeved that my 12 month build for the legendary weapon was well outdone in one weapon post expansion release lol I lost interest from the usual grind. The guild I was with is still going strong.

#12 ·
I doubt 8-12 hrs of Dungeon grinding will get you to 85 and even if it does nobody is going to level that way. Your going to have to do the quest lines in order the get certain Rep rewards that are a must have for raiding. Such as Head and Shoulder Enhancements. Would suck if you leveled to 85 and then had to go back and do all the quests anyways.

#14 · (Edited)
Wow, I have not played in 6 months (account deactivated). I started playing two months after it came out, and have had the same character the entire time...though I have never reached level cap in the 6 years(however long WoW has been out...) I have had them. Kil'Jeaden server Hord ftw. I stopped playing just before WOTLK came out, and have never bought it, but play for all the free weeks blizzard keeps giving me (one every other month is seems). But cataclysm has me interested and I'll definitely give it a shot.

#17 ·
Just when I thought I was out they drag me back in...

One of the guys I played with a bunch was messaging me all day yesterday about the changes. I have been casually playing for awhile now. At least I have the 7th-10th off, but I remember the lag and all around badness of every expansion release. Horde Illidan ftw! Geez I was just thinking about it, I have now played this more then EQ and with 2 less expansions. :icon_roll

#23 ·
Is this an Everquest 1 reference? Because I played on Veeshan server for 5 years and Cestus Dei was a guild on the server.

On topic, I played WoW from beta to a few weeks into Lich King. I was a hardcore raider and pvper. My main was always my hunter. I was in love with this game. I was in love with this game before it came out. I got all of my RL friends into it and they also fell in love. The game was so awesome! I remember every big patch that helped make the game even better. The most exciting for me would have to be the honor system (pvp), battlegrounds, 10 and 25 man dungeons, 5 man dungeons and best of all... arena's! . I think the best time for WoW was during the Burning Crusade. Everything was awesome and there were many challenges. Leveling was a good speed, there was some equality in pvp with all classes, raiding and defeating bosses to get a few pieces of awesome epics was very rewarding and exciting, etc. My life was pretty dedicated to this game. Everything was perfect. Work all day, hang out with my girlfriend or friends (only WoW friends) and then play WoW all night. Same thing every day.

Now everyone knows that good things dont last and... it didnt. Here comes another expansion. It looks great, is advertised like apple advertises ipods to make them look like the best thing in the world, and then sucks. Lich King COMPLETELY 1 million percent ruined WoW. There is no longer any challenge for anything. All the hard work anyone put into the game was wasted. The countless days, and weeks you spent leveling or gearing up can be done in under a day. In the beginning, the reason people went to WoW was because it was easy compared to a game like Everquest. You could play and level up alone! It was awesome. Even though it was easy, it wasnt TOO easy. There was a perfect balance of easy to hard difficulty in everything in this game. Bringing out Lich King and making the game stupid easy brought many problems. What is a game with no challenge? Now all I think when I see World of Warcraft is how much time I wasted on it. It is a waste because they ruined the game. My 3 years played game time on my hunter can become 1 week played. Everything I did on my hunter can be done in 1 week now. Why would I ever want to play that game again? The worst part for me was the ruining and inbalance of pvp. I spent so much time coming up with the perfect hunter for pvp. I made sure I had a strategy to beat every class or match up. I made sure I had the perfect armor and weapons to beat everyone. I made sure I had perfect talent specs and trinkets to help me. Then one day all of that means nothing. All of a sudden I can be 1 or 2 shotted by some new class called a Death Knight. Are you kidding me?

I dont know how people who played in the beginning, or just before Lich King, can still play this game. I understand why new players like the game. Its easy and theres so much you can do. There is no challenge. I will continue to love the lore of this game but not the gameplay. Again, things that are good never stay good. I hope yall enjoy the new expansion and I hope it gets better. I am just disappointed in Blizzard and the path they took.

#19 ·
I'll be playing on the stroke of midnight, and I'll be pushing 22-24hrs first then a break then back to the grind. :) Its estimated that approx 38hrs is reasonable to reach 85 (hardcore player). So I figure I can break it up into two parts.

Then once I have 85 I can spend my time farming and making a killing off the AH.

#20 ·
Nerd alert! Nerd alert! JK... I have never played any of the WoW series or anything like it. Big waste of time IMO. Think of all the water changes you could do! :icon_mrgr

#24 ·
Yea I kinda feel the same way. The best time for me was before BC and raiding AQ and the opening of the gates. I miss those days! But I hope Cata brings that back, meanwhile Im leveling alts because I don't want to go to Northrend. I did however change my priest into a gnome, and still do pvp at 80. But I hate Northrend.

#25 ·
I played all through Classic since launch and I fully believe Burning Crusade brought about the worst changes, and it just continued through Wrath. Classic was the all time best, nothing will top it. Why do I keep playing? Because its the best MMORPG out there, no other good choices that offer all of what WoW can offer.

The world has definitely changed though. My biggest disgust is the catering to the smaller guilds, and more casual players. Thats where the purple rain gear handout comes in. Thats why it doesn't mean anything anymore. I used to put in weeks or a month for 1 maybe 2 pieces of gear in a 40man raid. Now I can buy it from a vendor for tokens and it takes me maybe a week.

My biggest complaint about Cata is the casual raider thing. Why make 10 and 25 man equal, you've already destroyed 40man raids and now 10 and 25 are equal? Sigh.

#31 ·
nod,nod nue!

even though the game has dumbed down a lot it still a good stress free time killer for me.
have worked on the same 4 toons off and on for 3 years.

as long as ya view it a s a game and dont let it absorb the rest of life...can think of much worse ways to waste time and money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.