The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Plant Light From Home Depot

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wadesharp 
#1 ·
Thought someone might be interested in this, I know i love it. I just bought it today, Its a desk light that comes with a 27W PC Light 6700K for only 20$ YAY! Works Nice, looks nice too, and it has a reflector!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Look carefully at that light. Notice how close together the 4 tubes are, and how close the bulb is to exactly fitting in the cavity in the fixture. There is no way a reflector is going to work with that bulb or that design fixture. So, you are getting only the light from the front half of the bulb.

It works well for a nano tank, 2-5 gallons, for example, but it is far too little light for any bigger tank. I used mine on a 2.5 gallon nano tank and it worked well enough that I felt I had low to medium light intensity. I also used the bulb and electrical parts in a light fixture I made for my 10 gallon tank. It was too little light, and didn't cover the ends of the tank at all well. And, this was with a DIY reflector that captured part of the light from the back of the bulb. I think two of these will light a 10 gallon tank to low to medium light intensity, and some people have posted their results using it this way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.