The Planted Tank Forum banner

Survey: where do you get your rocks in Mass?

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Jacey 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Since getting into planted tanks, I find myself always looking for interesting rocks: at the beach, on the highway, etc. I'd love to find a good source of rocks for a few iwagumi projects, but there is no way I'd pay to have ADA-style rocks shipped.

So I'm wondering:
Where does everyone get their rocks in and around the Bay State?

And are you willing to share your source?

#4 ·
Not sure if it's legal but I collected some Granite from the Sheep's fold park in Medford. New England is one giant hunk of granite so I don't think they will miss a few stones. They don't' seem to be touching the PH/KH/GH at all and the shrimps are all over them. They are fractured and not water smoothed, but I like the way they look.

#5 ·
Garden stores, side of the road, open lots...

Depends on what kind of rocks you are looking for.

#12 ·
The only south facing beach on the North Shore... great place. Lots of shale and sedimentary, you've got to soak the pants off of it for freshwater use however.

On the neck there is a small pond you can hike to, that has several sizable snapping turtles and some very large red carp. The turtles are human savvy so you have to lay in the grass for them to come up.

#13 · (Edited)
The only south facing beach on the North Shore... great place. Lots of shale and sedimentary, you've got to soak the pants off of it for freshwater use however.

On the neck there is a small pond you can hike to, that has several sizable snapping turtles and some very large red carp. The turtles are human savvy so you have to lay in the grass for them to come up.
:hihi: yeah, i usually soak for three days freeze for two and then dry...its excessive, but i wouldn't risk any other

#15 ·
On the harbour side closer to the mainland, and about 35 yards offshore I used to drop those multi hook jigs for flounder off of a skiff and pull up 4-5 at a time, then go sell them at the Fish store (food not pets) that was down at the Public Landing in old town and sell them for 10 cents a pop (mid/late 60's). It's funny how well you can remember stuff from so long ago and forget to take out the trash today....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.