The Planted Tank Forum banner

To calibrate or not to calibrate my new tds meter

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bsmith 
#1 ·
I received a RODI unit for Christmas, very excited. And I just received my TDS meter. It says its factory calibrated, but it came with calibration solution. Think I should save the solution or calibrate it?

Thanks!

#5 ·
i got the same thing, i think it was $15 or something, but i did get it for free after arguing with the seller about it not being accurate and it would give different results in same water and he lost once i file the dispute. anyway i don't understand how you calibrate with the screw as it was mentioned, but they claim that its already calibrated, let me know if it works out for you, maybe i need to calibrated mine also.

i tested the same water it read 250ppm then 265ppm and then 280ppm and it was more or less each time i did the test.

#6 ·
Seems to be working. To calibrate you just dip in the solution packet and adjust the screw. Haven't done it before, might try it out. Don't think not being calibrated would give you many random different reading, it would just be off. But not for sure.

#10 ·
Thats what mine came with too. Im sure thats what you will use when you feel it necessary to calibrate. I guess its the standard. There are many different solutions out there so checking the manual or the web would be the best bet.

Mine has been saying my tap is !140ppm since I got it and fore me thats tells me its still pretty accurate.

Though recently I have found that just about everything can effect the TDS in our tanks, including ferts. Now I mainly use the meter on my shrimp tanks which only receive micro ferts not your macro NPK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.