The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is my lighting okay?

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Mikey319 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have a standard 55 gallon with a dual 4ft shop light hanging from my ceiling. I have swords, water lettuce, pothos, bamboo, white ribbons, and anubias. My bulbs are a Hagen Power-Glo 40 watt 18,000k and. Coralife 32 watt colormax. My lights go on at 6:30 am and they are in for four hours and are shut off for two then back on for four and so on until 10:30 PM.

#4 ·
How many of the 18000k bulbs are of the 4? I would replace with either a 10000k or a 6700k. Not sure how much good the 18000k is doing you.

Also, not sure about your white ribbon plants. I don't know of any ribbon plants that are full aquatics and they will eventually die and rot. Same goes for Bamboo. Did you get the ribbon plants from Petco? They are notorious for selling them as aquarium plants.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply :)

Okay, I have a 4 foot shop light that has two bulbs. One is the coralife color max for the red spectrum and the 18,000k is the blue spectrum.

Nope, my white ribbons are in a breeder box with and air stone underneathh. Same for my bamboo and pothos. The only plants under the water are the swords, anubias, banana plants, and a moss ball. The bananas and moss ball are doing fantastic! I added some root tabs today too. I saw a new leaf on my one anubias. Would you think taking out the 18,000k and putting in an Aqueon full spectrum 8,000k be good? I don't like the white I like the purple and reds in lights. Especially for my goldfish; it brings out their colors much or then a 65-6700k

#11 ·
So my birthday was yesterday and I have 25 dollar amazon gift card and a 25 dollar visa. So I have 50 dollars to amazon. What T5 HO fixture would you recommend no get for my 55? I like the purple glow not the white. So I was thinking the Aqueon, but I am not sure at all. I want your suggestions guys :)

#12 ·
You might get away/w it on a 55, but I have found that the 18,000K Power Glo grows algae great on shorter tanks.
I can't say enough good about a Zoo Med Flora sun bulb for growing plants.
However...it does have low..er visible light than most other bulbs.
So I always use one on my tank, but with a higher K value bulb with it.
Before that hole in your pocket gets all of your money, I'd try one of those with
the Power Glo that you have. The Flora sun is the only other bulb that list that it contains good red spectrum besides a Floramax.
Check/w your local Petco as they have the Flora sun on clearence as they are changing to Coralife products. It's been a while so they may have sold out.
The Flora sun/w the Power Glo will still give good viewing lght. But if you get algae from that combo, then try it with either a 8000K or a 10,000K bulb.

#14 ·
I have more bio-film than algae :p I just use my algae magnet every two days or so on the front and one side of the tank. I believe my LFS sells them or can get them in if I wanted them too.

Aqueon stopped making the 8000k bulbs. I'm furious. :( I loved those bulbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.