The Planted Tank Forum banner

Looking for some guidance on lighting

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mlov(NJ) 
#1 ·
Hello,

New here and I need some suggestions for lighting my 150gal Discus tank. I currently only use the 2 36" strip lights that came w/the All Glass set-up, I believe they are only 30 watt bulbs each. So that means I only have 60 total watts trying to grow plants in a 6' long tank. Now I know why my plants don't grow. So my question is, what lighting set-up can i get to make my plants grow nicely without a CO2 system and spending hundreds of dollars? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Simply search the previous threads on this forum & you'll find good comments about the proper wattage needed for your aquarium. Welcome to the club anyway.

#4 ·
Anyway to retro those types of bulbs into my current strip light? Ideally i would want 2x96 for each 36" strip. Or can i get away with 1x96 for each strip? Would this be ok to grow Amazon swords, Melon swords, crypts, vals w/o CO2 injection? BTW I have a 150gal.

#5 ·
Take a look at http://www.ahsupply.com and see if the 96 watt beast would fit into your hood - they give measurements on the dimensions of the reflector. If you do retrofit it, it may not be a bad idea to install some PC fans to keep the heat down too.

2 lights, 96 watt, over the length of your tank will probably lead to good, but slow growth. 4 x 96 watt (+ CO2 and correct ferts) will lead to very quick growth, and a higher risk for algae. Decide what kind of goals you have for this tank and then buy the light that fits those goals. Keep in mind that the watts/gallon rule doesn't apply as much to big tanks - you can get away with LESS wpg in a big tank.

#10 ·
Sorry to throw a wreanch into the works, but....
One thing I will say about those lights is that they don't look like they have decent reflectors. The AH Supply lights will get more light in the tank with the same bulbs.
Those bulbs are close, and it could get hot with those and no fans.

Also with that light strip, either both bulbs are on, or both are off.

#11 ·
Sorry to throw a wreanch into the works, but....
One thing I will say about those lights is that they don't look like they have decent reflectors. The AH Supply lights will get more light in the tank with the same bulbs.
Those bulbs are close, and it could get hot with those and no fans.

Also with that light strip, either both bulbs are on, or both are off.
Thanks for your advice, but they have to be better than my 2 -36" 30 watt strips I am using now. I hope my plants will grow with the new lights. BTW, nice tank you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.