The Planted Tank Forum banner

Considering moving my X-Large Stumpy Driftwood Piece

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Down_Shift 
#1 ·
So I I like this piece of DW but I'm considering using smaller branchier pieces to take its place. Its a shame because its a nice piece that is seeded with Java Moss and looks pretty good.

Any thoughts as to what I should do? Keep it, replace with rock hardscap, or use smaller branchier, manzanita type dw?

The main reason I want to remove it is because this is the part of the tank that has the brightest light and I now have enough staurogyne repens and lobelia cardinalis that I want to make more real estate for high light carpet.

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
Its a really really nice piece, I have a couple pieces for my 75 gallon already but ended up taking them out as well due to their size and I ended up getting a BBA outbreak and no one wants to look at furry driftwood. I am looking for a piece like this that would go well in a 30 gallon, I am thinking about setting up yet another tank and trying my hand at a dry start with a full DHG carpet.

#5 ·
Well, it is a shame that you don't live closer. I think I will put it up for sale in the local Aquarium Society and wait. I put a lot of time into that piece to grow the moss and also to keep it algae free. I'm considering replacing it with another piece that instead has Taiwan moss.

#8 ·
That piece of wood appears to be the highlight of your tank. Why remove it just so you can plant a staurogyne carpet? Your tank will just look flat without it.

That piece of wood reminds me of how my tank used to look

Unfortunately, I had to remove that piece because it was interfering with circulation too much, but I would love to be able to put that back into my current scape.

It made a great home for fish and shrimp, and it added a little bit of mystery to the tank. If properly secured to a sheet of slate, a piece of wood like that could also make, along with a couple of stones, an excellent cliff face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.