The Planted Tank Forum banner

worm!!!

769 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  babox2 
#1 ·
I have dirted planted tank. I've seen this worm just swim up and wiggle around and go back in the dirt. Can it be just an earth worm? The dirt has pockets of air. Can someone ID? I would like to know if I should panic or not. I actually like of like it because it sifts through the dirt and releases some of the CO2 pockets.

See less See more
#6 ·
I don't think it could be an earth worm, unless you added it yourself. Earthworms cannot live in an aquatic environment, they breath through their skin. I use earthworms in my aquaponics systems, and you have to have to drain the growing media regularly to allow air to get in to the worms and roots.

#7 ·
I used organic soil and I didn't filter it or anything so its possible right? I thought about just pulling it out but like anastasisariel said it helps to keep the soil from going anaerobic. I've only seen it for about 2-3 months in the tank. Just making sure its not something I need to worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.