The Planted Tank Forum banner

Moving Plants Hi Tech to Low Tech

712 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mbutzer45 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm about to start a low light 90 gallon tank, with a sand over soil substrate. I currently have a 65 gallon hi tech tank going with a gravel over soil substrate, pressurized co2, and about 3.5wpg. I was wondering if I could grow plants in the 65 so that I could propagate them quickly, and then move them to the 90? If I could get some suggestions of plants that would do well in this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
the plants would go through shock so, I don't really think it'd be overly worthwhile, ya know?

like, they'd go more in high tech, but there'd be some die-off as they adjust to the low tech conditions.

#3 ·
I would imagine both Staurogyne Repens and dwarf Lobelia Cardinalis would not die off after the switch as I've never experienced this. Both of them would be fine in a tank on the lower medium side of it and would grow a lot faster in your high tech, although Staurogyne might be slightly too slow for your purposes.

Marselea species would work too and would adapt almost immediately from going to high tech to low, again a slower grower but not as bad as I thought it would be.

#6 ·
The hygrophila and wisteria would work great. I'm not sure how fast you can get the Anubias or Java fern to grow in the high tech. They would work but I'd almost just recommend putting them in the 90 without trying to grow them in the high tech. For me Java Fern is a hard plant to get to adapt for some reason.. must be my water.. maybe the tempurature it doesn't like. Which is another good thing to think about. I would make sure the temps in both tanks are the same

#7 ·
Yeah, I plan on keeping the temps the same for the immediate future. I actually got a small Java Fern as a throw in on a plant order I got in yesterday. I tied it to a piece of driftwood and notice it was pearling today, which was a surprise. I didn't think it would do that. I keep my water at 78 degrees, and the plants seem to do well with that. My eventual plan with the 90 is to breed zebra plecos in it, but not for a year or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.