The Planted Tank Forum banner

coralife 2x18 t-5. HELP

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  phanizzle 
#1 ·
i just got in my coralife lighting in the mail today and im very excited, i also got the hagen co2 system. for those who have the coralife lighting, do you guys leave it without the hood? or do you keep your hood and put the lighting on top? please help me out i dont want any of my fishes to jump out, not sure if they do or not. i have a 20gal long, rummy noses tetras, neon tetras, otos, corydoras, cherry shrimps.

#2 ·
I have no glass on my tank and have never had a fish jump out. I have the same fixture as you, only in the 48 inch size. I've had it over the open top for a few months now with no problems, hope that helps.

Here's a pic of my set-up, the T5 is in the front:

#4 ·
Some fish will jump, some won't. Some types are more inclined to jump than others. Some people have more problems with "jumpers", while others rarely ever have that problem.

A glass top will help prevent evaporation and jumpers, but will cut down on the light getting into the tank (especially if not kept clean).

Many folks here go open-top, some don't.

There's a trade-off, so you'll need to figure out what you want to do......:thumbsup:

#9 ·
For Lighting, the ballast is the device which regulates the voltage going to the bulbs when lit, and provides enough voltage to ignite the gas when they are first turned on.
If you look at one of the retrofit kits, it's the large, and usually heavy box with a plug on one end, and wires to connect to the end caps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.