The Planted Tank Forum banner

New tank, new ideas!

851 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sarazorz 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I've been posting like crazy on this site trying to learn as much as I can; I'm new around here. I have some experience with fish keeping but not plant keeping. I'd just like to throw out some ideas for my new "tax return tank" and see what you guys think...

I was considering building a "red tank", by that I mean using only plants that are red in color. I think it would look awesome with the rocks I currently have, and would look cool against tan colored sand a bit of this tan/peach/brown gravel that I have. (Obviously the substrate would include dirt underneath).

So I was thinking about some red tiger lotus and some red/orange cryptos, and others. I am looking for (but can't seem to find) a brown or red ground cover plant. I love dwarf baby tears but they are too bright green for what I'd like to accomplish. The texture of those is great though, are there ground cover plants that grow nice and thick like dwarf baby tears which are brown/red? Also, from what I understand, red plants require more iron to keep their color...correct?

Do you think an all red tank would be too much? I'm also looking into golden and yellow colored plants. Thoughts on this red tank appreciated!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.