The Planted Tank Forum banner

Alternative for dolomite?

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Diana 
#1 ·
What can I use instead of dolomite for the bottom of my tank?

I thought I read I could use Cuttlebone? Is that true? Would I need anything else?

Thanks

#2 ·
Dolomite is a type of limestone that is a mix of calcium and magnesium carbonates. It's a bit less soluble then regular old calcite or aragonite (just Calcium carbonate), plus it also provides magnesium.

If you can't get dolomite, I imagine any other source of calcium carbonate should work somewhat- cuttlebone, crushed coral, limestone rock, etc.

#4 ·
Go to your LFS (Local Farm Supply) and get a bag of Chicken Grit, it's crushed coral and Oyster shells. Oyster shells are a source of calcium and magnesium.

I agree with wkndracer, you should consider your water perimeters. Also, consider the plants you intend to keep as you build your substrate.

#9 ·
I also thought oyster shell was CaCO3, not much (if any) magnesium.
From Wikipedia, Seashell:
Because seashells are in some areas a readily available bulk source of calcium carbonate, shells such as oyster shells are sometimes used as soil conditioners in horticulture. The shells are broken or ground into small pieces in order to have the desired effect of raising the pH and increasing the calcium content in the soil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.