The Planted Tank Forum banner

Quick question about playsand substrate

589 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  eNdoubleU 
#1 ·
Hi, I started my 29g planted tank w an Aquaclear 70 (formerly 300), and just added the flourite and playsand. After the sand was filtered out/settled down, I noticed that where my filter outtakes, the sand is moving away, exposing the flourite underneath. I know it doesn't do anything to the flourite but it's aesthetically unappealing.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do there? I was thinking of using a rock or moving my driftwoods there. But it looks awkward when I moved the driftwoods.

There are no fishes in here yet, just the substrate and driftwood. I'm waiting for this weekend to put up my lighting and adding plants.

Edit: I have one more question. My filter has options for foam, carbon, ammonia, and biomax. I've decided to keep the foam and biomax. Should I keep the ammonia remover and carbon?

Thanks.

#2 ·
As you mentioned, you can somehow diffuse the outflow of your filter by placing rocks/driftwood (or plants!) there in order to prevent the substrate from getting blown around.

Alternatively, you can even just turn down the flow rate of the Aquaclear.

Finally, for the filter media, remove the ammonia remover and the carbon, and just fill up with more biomedia/foam/filter floss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.