The Planted Tank Forum banner

Orlando Area LFS

5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  JunJunJenn 
#1 · (Edited)
So it seems like all the posts related to the Orlando area have gotten pretty old. Went through some posts to try and find some freshwater LFS.

Added some to a google map

So if anyone has more locations or know of a listed location that no longer exists post it here and hopefully we can keep an updated list.

#2 ·
I know this is old but it's good information to post anyways. These are the ones I go to.

Aquaria Studio - 504 N. Alafaya Trail Suite #112 Orlando FL 32828( next to buffalo wildwings at waterford lakes)
has both fresh and saltwater

Ocean Blue Aquarium - 4720 Aloma Ave winter park FL 32792

Fishy Business - 140 South Ronald Reagan BLVD, Longwood FL 32750

#5 ·
Really, the one on Aloma? Their other store, Aquaria Studio, in Waterford is still open. I stop by to look around whenever im nearby but their prices are pretty high on some of their freshwater stock so I always walk out empty handed :\ ($8 for a RCS, $7 for an otocinclus as examples)

#8 ·
Phishy biz used to have good variety of stock on cichlids and normal fish, and they still have better variety than anyone else, but they lost their primary breeder and it shows in their stock. I have talked to both so I dont know which side to believe, except I still know the primary breeder. What do you mean long haul, I drive all the way from Kissimmee.

Aquaria Studio has a small freshwater selection but they usually have some oddballs that are worth looking at. their saltwater selection is pretty cool, and they have the usual ubiquitous fish along with some oddball gems as well. Their prices are high, although with their location, can you hardly blame them?

The Petland in Waterford lakes is actually pretty good(ducks the thrown objects), i have found some good stuff there from time to time. They have a planted tank in the back which they sell fish out of and i am not sure they know what they have. I bought four small electric blue rams for $4.99 each a few months back.

If you are looking for local water Discus I can put you in touch with a local breeder in my area who raises them in our water PH 8.3 last time I checked. I have had mine for over a year with zero casualties and sickness and his prices are about 1/4 what you pay in a store. Just be prepared to talk for awhile lol.

#15 ·
I was just out there at Petland yesterday. Not bad, they have some tanks other than All Glass you see at PetSmart and Petco. I still was not able to source Seachem Purigen locally which I was hoping they had. Plant selection was okay but Fishy Business has more variety. The fish selection is not bad. No inverts though. They stopped carrying them because they had RCS in and about ten were purchased and the rest died. They said they do not have the proper set up for inverts other than ghost shrimp but we all know where their doom is meant for. The person I spoke to said they can get RCS, bee shrimp and a couple of others but special order and only on Wednesdays when their supplier comes in to the store since they will not hold it and the price per shrimp is still more expensive than going through someone on the forum who is reputable. I did see they carry the Fluval Ebi which I have not seen locally. The guy I spoke to said they carry the full Fluval line so they can order anything in unlike PetSmart which carries Fluval but only what corporate dictates. They are really nice though so I will go back and check them out again.

#16 ·
For anyone lookin from more the beach area, the store in the merritt island "new publix" shopping mall has an owner that is avid in aquadic plants as well. Not the best fish selection in the past, but wonderfull plants that come in.

#18 ·
I was just at Aquaria Studio yesterday. They are pretty pricey ($12 for a Bamboo Shrimp!?) But they also have the best looking fish and cleanest tanks I have seen anywhere in the area. I don't think I have ever been in and not seen an employee taking care of a tank. They are also willing to order ANYTHING you could think of wanting.

Petland in Waterford is pretty decent as well, although recently they seem to have one or two employees in their fish department that don't really know much about what is going on in their tanks. I bought an Amano and about seven White Clouds there almost two years ago and they were all very healthy...in fact all but two WCs are still alive believe it or not.

I didn't see anyone post Pet Bazaar in Cassleberry. They are very very friendly and very knowledgeable even though they mainly have reptiles. One of the few places that I know keep a variety of shrimp and African Dwarf Frogs almost constantly in stock. Side note, I have never had a bad experience there. Seriously, I have called several times with an assortment of questions and they are always very sweet and if they don't know an answer they will find out for you without making you feel like you are a bother to them.

#27 ·
Ocean Blue has a jungle of a freshwater planted tank last time I was there, was interesting to look at. They had some interesting freshwater livestock, but I saw most of the less common fish at Fishy Business as well, cheeper, maybe not as healthy.

If you are interested in reef, Sea-in-the-City (along with Ocean Blue) were very awesome. Was quite surprised by the amount of staffing at Sea-in-the-City, a lot of frags :>

#28 ·
I did a little tour de fish stores this afternoon... ocean blue I think moved locations and is all salt. The pet supermarket in casselberry off 436 actually wasn't terrible they had some large plants in with their fish. It was very clean and healthy looking. Pet bazaar has a good fish and driftwood collection not much else but I bought two lil Otto's from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.