The Planted Tank Forum banner

Critique the photo above you...

82K views 692 replies 159 participants last post by  D.Rodgers 
#1 ·
This is a spinoff off the Just Photos thread and I figured with the new threads for Nikon and Canon fans, as well as the threads constantly popping up asking how shooting better photos, it would be nice to have a thread to have your photos critiqued. There are some excellent photographers here including some pros, so perhaps if this thread gets rolling, we can get some good tips and tricks and critiques.

Here's the ground rules:

1. Don't be rude. Giver your opinion and offer some advise but don't be ignorant about it. If a picture is not good, say why but don't just say something like "This shot sucks."

2. Don't just post "Nice shot." Expand, say why you think it's nice, or not nice. Offer some advice on how to make it better, including shot setup, camera settings, post processing tips, ect.

3. If you comment on a shot, post up a shot of your own.

4. This is a critique thread. Don't get butt hurt if someone doesn't like your photo.

5. Doesn't have to be fish related but of course it needs to fall within what is acceptable for this site.

6. Lets not turn this into a Brand N vs. Brand C war. Really, there is no need to even post the make of the camera you are using however some info that would be useful would be the lens and camera settings. If you know them, post them. It can really help others help you.

7. Don't post your perfect shots all the time. This isn't an ego stroking thread. This is meant to possibly help shoot better photos. Maybe you have some shots that just aren't working. Post them up and see what help you might get to help improve them.

That's all I can think of. Hopefully this will take off and become a somewhat useful tool for people looking to get a little better at photography. Of course this isn't a photo site, but since people still seek help here and there are good photographers, why not. I would still encourage people to seek out some photography based sites though to get the most help and even check out some instructional books. Get one that is based on your camera and there are numerous books related to the different aspects of photography.

See less See more
#403 · (Edited)
Looks like we're at a stand still so I'm going to jump in again! I enjoy this thread and don't want it to end yet!
I thought the rose was a bit too dark the first time I saw the picture, but now looking at it again I love it. The picture being on the darker side allows the viewer to "see" the velvety texture of the petals. I think if the photo had been brighter it would have added a crispness to the rose taking away from the true feeling. Good shot!

Here's another picture from my cell phone. My 1 year old son smelling a flower.
Lip Plant Hand Flower Eyelash

#404 ·
Looks like we're at a stand still so I'm going to jump in again! I enjoy this thread and don't want it to end yet!
I thought the rose was a bit too dark the first time I saw the picture, but now looking at it again I love it. The picture being on the darker side allows the viewer to "see" the velvety texture of the petals. I think if the photo had been brighter it would have added a crispness to the rose taking away from the true feeling. Good shot!
This thread goes quite now and then but picks back up. It's a good thread I think and whoever started it is awesome for doing so....hahaha :wink::hihi::biggrin:

Seriously though, on the rose, yeah, it is kinda odd that at quick glance it's just kinda mah....but then it really kinda grows on you. It's almost Valentines Day card kinda stuff. I do like it, the darkness adds in this case more than detracts.

#406 ·
I hope y'all don't mind if I butt in even though I'm new :)

I like the subject, it's interesting and has great detail. The shot looks in focus and the exposure is on point. The editing looks a little over baked to me though, is it an HDR? I wish there weren't so many distracting elements as well (the reflections).

I doubt anyone wants to see car pictures, so I'll go with one from our vacation this year:

I always second guess my editing so I'd love to here some criticism.

#409 ·
I hope y'all don't mind if I butt in even though I'm new :)

I like the subject, it's interesting and has great detail. The shot looks in focus and the exposure is on point. The editing looks a little over baked to me though, is it an HDR? I wish there weren't so many distracting elements as well (the reflections).

I doubt anyone wants to see car pictures, so I'll go with one from our vacation this year:

I always second guess my editing so I'd love to here some criticism.
I absolutely love this shot. It could totally be framed and everything. The only difference I would do is perhaps tone down the sky once it reaches the inner 'third' of the photo to not be so white. And thats more personal preference more than anything. Excellent shot.

Here is my entry. Found this lil' guy on a leaf at the St. Louis Botanical gardens while on a tour with a group of plant nerds with the AGA convention.

-Caton

#415 ·
in reference to the photo above, sweet composition, and vibrant color capture. focus is awesome- right in the face. great perspective too.

mind if i join in the fray?

shot was taken during our day in the caves of the nuban mountain region in Sudan, this one is one of my favorites out of the whole trip.
Not horrible, but its compositionally weak. It would have been better for the person on the right to be farther into the frame, or perhaps a slightly different angle and perhaps just a tad shallower depth of field to add a little bit of storytelling to the picture.

Here's a self portrait I call: "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a [photography] gangster." lol!

#414 ·
@ticklemyelmo

I am absolutely honored for such an experienced and well respected photographer to say such a thing. And I do plan to continue on with photography as a way to help pay for some things (as in, semi-pro). I am going to Israel for 8 weeks in two months and I hope to have saved enough to either get a D600 and if that doesn't work out, at least a better lens and speedlight. But at least I have a DSLR and a kit lens rather than a point n' shoot. Thank you for your compliment. :)

#416 ·
I really like this photo. Its dark and mysterious and gives the feel like something is going to jump into the frame and take you. Lighting is very creative and the watermark actually adds to the drama IMO. Well done, Sir.

This is another photo I took while in St. louis at the botanical gardens. Its missing something and I can't decide what. Help me out?

#419 ·
#421 ·
Shots from 2 weeks ago. Mamiya c330. Fuji Reala 100 120 color film

Who should I critique??? Maybe Vicskimmr shot since I like it. However, the glare from the sun is just a bit too much. High lights are blown out without any details. Maybe crop out the glare and the sun??? Or should have taken 2 or more exposures. One for the sky and the other for the ground. Then, you merged both shots together.

#422 ·
Three Great photos Tetra. The 1st one looks slightly over exposed IMO.

Here is a pic of the eclipse that happened yesterday, the moon going in front of the sun. Pic hasn't been edited.

#429 ·
Plamski...

The first shot doesn't really peak my interest. I like his silhouette against the big screen though... composition feels off. I really like the 2nd shot though. That really caught my interest. I like the lighting on him a lot. Did you blur out the bottom of his "stage" he was up on? That drew in my eye for some reason

So I got bored tonight and decided to do a new self-portrait for facebook/linkedin/my photography website. Using 1 light with an umbrella and a fill card on the left side of my face. Minor retouching to eyes and face (maybe 10 minutes tops spent retouching).

#433 ·
So I got bored tonight and decided to do a new self-portrait for facebook/linkedin/my photography website. Using 1 light with an umbrella and a fill card on the left side of my face. Minor retouching to eyes and face (maybe 10 minutes tops spent retouching).
Not bad at all! My only critique is the lower left corner is a little dark as a result of only using 1 light....use two! :icon_lol:

...I'll continue on with the self portrait theme ;)

#440 ·
nice photo technically, although i find the subject matter to be a little boring. maybe paly with the angles some next time

DSC_0052.jpg by orchidman-10, on Flickr

I thought your shot is interesting. It reminds me of a painting with a white background. Something is not even about this shot. The green leaves there....too much of them to the left and leaving out some empty space by the right. Maybe if you can have the other 2 orchids facing the camera as well???

#438 ·
I don't have a pic to add right now, but I just had to jump in on Gary's photo because I really dig it!

Wow I don't find the subject matter boring at all. I love it! This would look fabulous in a forest themed bathroom on the wall or in a den or library of some sort. The old grey stump looks like a beaver had knawed on that...and those red maple leaves climbing into the pic from the left give a nice pop of color. Great picture IMO. I would enjoy making a pastel painting of this. Lovely :)

#441 ·
Kay guys, lets remember to not post a hundred pictures at once...one or two at a time.

I like your last picture, but I would maybe crop out a bit of the sky and darken it just a little to put emphasis on the clouds. I also think it might have been a bit better if you had used the rule of thirds for the land/sky on that one.

Here is one, I was experimenting a bit with breaking the rules of exposure.

And one of my foster dog.

I put up the 500px version so that you can see the whole picture without having to scroll the page...If you care about seeing it larger, just go here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/adripendletonphotography/8233927308/sizes/l/in/photostream/

#442 ·
Kay guys, lets remember to not post a hundred pictures at once...one or two at a time.

I like your last picture, but I would maybe crop out a bit of the sky and darken it just a little to put emphasis on the clouds. I also think it might have been a bit better if you had used the rule of thirds for the land/sky on that one.

Here is one, I was experimenting a bit with breaking the rules of exposure.

And one of my foster dog.

I put up the 500px version so that you can see the whole picture without having to scroll the page...If you care about seeing it larger, just go here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/adripendletonphotography/8233927308/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Your highlight on her face is blown out. Try to reduce the contrast. I am not sure if you can even retrieve highlight.

I try to minimize my post processing as much as possible because these are films. No excessive cropping. No crazy contrast or effects unless the film actually captures them.

#446 ·
Beautiful Angel speciman you have there!!

I feel that the fish needs to somehow be sharper as it seems to sort of "melt" into the background (Im sorry, I havent had any coffee yet so cant think of a better word). The fish has lovely colours but I feel they too get a bit lost because of the similar coloured plants. I'm not that experienced with editing so I'm not sure of what processes you would have to employ to fix it. Hopefully someone far more skilled than me can give you some imput :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.