The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rusty's 30 gallon Satellite+ tank

15K views 68 replies 17 participants last post by  pmccrory 
#1 · (Edited)
Started a new thread. Never kept up with the old one.

Plants:
alternanthera reineckii
bacopa monneiri
blyxa japonica
cardamine lyrata
fissidens fontanus
glossostigma elatinoides
hemianthus micranthemoides
heteranthera zosterifolia
hygrophila difformis
limnophila aquatica
mayaca fluviatilis
pogostemon erectus
rotala rotundifolia

Fauna:
harlequin rasboras
amano shrimp
red cherry shrimp
otocinclus
assassin snails

See less See more
#4 ·
Weekly Friday night photo:

Idk why my wisteria is not growing upwards very much. Perhaps it prefers more medium light? It's putting off a bunch of side shoots trying to grow bushier, but it won't grow vertically. If It doesn't begin to grow vertically very much, I may look at trying something else there (back left corner), perhaps Myrio mattagrossense or something similar. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

#8 ·
I've never had too much trouble with the pogostemon. It took it a while to convert from the emersed form as I received it to the submersed form. It tends to grow a good bit slower than some of the other stems. I don't have the other two you mentioned so I don't know much about them.

#11 ·
Thought I'd post the specifics of equipment and such.

Fliter: Fluval 306
CO2: Pressurized CO2, 5lb tank, GLA Atomic V3 regulator, GLA Atomic bubble counter/check valve, GLA Atomic inline diffuser. ~2-3bps, Drop checker lime green-yellowish
Lighting: 2x39W T5HO, IceCap SLR T5 reflectors, Aqua Medic Plant + Geissman Midday bulbs
Substrate: Seachem Fluorite Dark
Ferts: KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B, occasionally K2SO4, EI dosing

#13 ·
Thank you. Can't wait to add the Myrio mattogrossense to it. It will be replacing the wisteria in the back left corner. The wisteria just wasn't growing the way I expected it to. It wants to grow outward, not upward, :mad: which makes it useless for the purpose I intended.

#14 ·
Updated plant list:
alternanthera reineckii
blyxa japonica
cardamine lyrata
fissidens fontanus
glossostigma elatinoides
hemianthus micranthemoides
heteranthera zosterifolia
[STRIKE]hygrophila difformis [/STRIKE] (will be removed soon)
ludwigia repens x arcuata
limnophila aromatica
limnophila aquatica
mayaca fluviatilis
myriophyllum mattogrossense (coming soon)
myriophyllum sp. 'mini'
pogostemon erectus
rotala macrandra

#18 ·
Well it appears I somehow got some Christmas moss mixed in with my fissidens :icon_conf so I'm going to end up taking all the moss off of the two stumps on the left. I think I have enough fissidens on the one other stump that I can trim it off and seed at least one of the other stumps. Mixed mosses = no bueno

#19 ·
Well here's a some pics of a couple of the plants I got a couple weeks ago as they're adapting to my tank. Many of the stems of rotala macrandra are dropping old leaves and putting off new side shoots while the tips continue to grow upwards. I'm guessing this is normal behavior for this plant when it changes environments. I've seen similar behavior when I kept rotala rotundifolia. The myriophyllum sp. 'mini' dropped all of the old leaves but has about and inch and a half or so of new growth. It might be a while before I have enough of it to do much with, but it's definitely neat looking. :) The Limnophila aromatica has a good two inches of new growth at the tips as well as a few new side shoots. Most of the old leaves have either fallen off or don't quite behave like the new ones do, responding to the photo period and pointing leaves at the light in the final couple hours of light.

Rotala macrandra

Myriophyllum sp. 'mini'

Limnophila aromatica

#21 ·
These individual plant photos were taken with my phone. :) HTC One S has an awesome camera, especially for a phone. I usually only pull out my D-SLR for good full tank shots or if I'm trying to get macro shots of something. I do have a old Canon Powershot with a waterproof casing for it. I have thought about trying to use that under the water just for fun :p but i don't even know if I know where the battery charger for it is and I doubt I could get a new battery for it. It's probably nearing 10 years old at least.

#28 ·
Well, I came back from thanksgiving break to find I had a spirogyra outbreak :( I've now uprooted all of the plants, cleaned them, manually removed as much of the algae as possible, soaked in an H2O2 bath, and everything is ready to be replanted. I've also blacked out the tank for that past couple days and I'm going to do a 50% water change today before replanting. I think I'm also getting rid of the moss for now since it is so infested with algae. It looks so bare now :( Hopefully it won't take long for everything to fill in again once I get everything replanted.

#30 ·
Lol. It's all good. :) everything is replanted now. I will take a photo here in a couple days. I think I was able to get rid of the algae, after some intensive labor :tongue: I haven't seen any more of the little green threads. Plants will regrow with time. Stuff had grown so dense, I probably needed to pull everything up and replant anyways.

#35 ·
LOL! A GUY putting a coat on his dog is a rare sight to see :flick: Too funny but good man, good man. Grey Hounds are very much in need of something extra on those colder days. Dobermans too. And, Danes as well right OVT? BTW! OVT you changed you Avatar to a beggin dane with his cute face on the table top! Adorable!!! So, you must not have changed your socks this morning :)

Good idea to have a small tank so that you have something to rescape when ever that urge to "tinker" in the tank arrises! I want a Fluval Edge for my bedside. Hubby won't go for it though :icon_roll Darn it anyhoo.

So my dober has a yellow raincoat, a "cunstruction" vest (for biking), a blue snowsuit, a giant red canvas/wool jacket, a couple other small wrap-on fleece and some Raindeer Antlers (just in time for Christmas!) He loves all of them LOL! He jumps in circles when he sees me get even close to a clothing item that belongs to him. Such a fashion bug Hee Hee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.