Bacter 100
Eheim 2211
Ryuoh stone (from TPT)
5lb CO2 tank
Currently 1 to 1.5 bps
aqmagic nano diffuser
DIY Drop Checker
Cal Aqua 13mm lily pipes (From TPT)

Purchased clear tubing and reducer to switch out the green tubing that came with the eheim.
I wanted to find a cheaper alternative for high quality tubing, and was able to.
Used the site Computer Liquid Cooling & Premium Air Products, Parts, Kits & Accessories | Sidewinder Computers and ordered:
-----3/8 "to 1/2" reducer
-----6 feet of 1/2" durelene pvc tubing
-----1 foot of 3/8" durelene pvc tubing
Really wonderful tubing that isn't too stiff and fits perfectly with the lily pipes and the eheim quick disconnects.

DIY Garden mat:
Made from a rubber drawer liner that I purchased at a Dollar Store
here in NYC. I cut the mat to the size of the tank and placed it between the
tank and the lighting stand of the Solar Mini M.

Plants: Glosso and HC (from Pacific Aquarium on Delancey Street here in NYC)
Fauna: Will be: White Cloud Mountain Minnows (currently in a holding tank) and Cardinal Japonica or Cherry Shrimp (breeding in my other tanks)

Fertilizing:
So far I'm dosing 1ml of Flourish Potassium and .5ml of Flourish Trace after a
50% water change every morning
I will eventually be doing weekly water changes of 1/3 of the tank once my
plants start to establish.

Lighting:
Between 8 to 10 hours during the day

Aquarium Cover:
I have a curious cat so I keep a cover on the tank when I'm not home.
Went to a sign/glass company in Queens and had 1/4" glass cut to 12" X 8" for $10. Fits perfectly, especially with the metal tabs that came with the
tank for an optional top.

Here are some random snaps of my progress

Because my power sand and solar mini m light were on backorder from ADG
and got held up in customs, I decided to run my Eheim 2211 as an
additional filter on my fluval edge tank. Then I purchased some white
cloud mountain minnows for the fluval, however, they started eating my
cherry shrimp babies. So I made a quick tank with a glass orchid container
that I had leftover and put the minnows in there as well as my eheim 2211
and a whisper 30 filter. Once the light and sand came, I switched the eheim
to the ADA Mini M and kept the whisper on the minnow tank. The filter has been on the other tanks for about 4 to 4.5 weeks. I was adding nutrafin cycle on the white cloud tank with the eheim, mainly
because I found the bottle that I never used that came with my fluval edge,
and just wanted to give it a try.

progression shots of setting up the eheim 2211

So the dry scape:

I started with placing a layer of bacter 100 and clear super before I added
the power sand. Then I used a good amount of Power sand to aid in making
the large slope in the back of the tank. I made sure to keep the power sand
a couple centimeters away from the front of the tank. Then I added
a little more bacter 100 and clear super. Then came the Aquasoil Normal
type. I used the entire 3L bag. I sloped it with a baking spatula. Placed my rock setup which I had been contemplating for months (believe it or not), found a scape I enjoyed. Used the golden ration of 1:1.618. Then added a
little bit of power sand.

planted January 7, 2011
The tank is mainly HC. However, I found some really sexy glosso at Pacific
Aquarium and decided to plant the glosso in the back left corner in the photo.
I didn't plant too much glosso, but I mixed in some HC with it as well. I think
it may give the tank a nice contrast in depth and color. Experienced some
water clouding the past couple of days. So I've been Just doing daily
water changes and replanting the HC or Glosso that comes loose and
floats to the top. I planted the HC in clumps of three or four. Planting
was a little more difficult than I had predicted. It took a lot of patience,
especially trying to maintain the slope while planting, misting and slowly filling with water.
But once the water reached the top and the substrate adjusted a hair and resettled
from the vigorous planting, was I happy with the initial outcome. I honestly spent
hours yesterday watching the water circulate and the plants pearl.
My next project is going to be drilling the IKEA cabinet for the filter tubing. Best, el g

See less See more
#304 ·
I've grown glosso before. I had success with it but am happier with the hydropiper. It's bigger than HC but I feel roots a lot better once it establishes. My problem with HC was that I couldn't keep up with the the way it would grow over itself. Then the bottom root system would die off as the upper layers smothered the bottom layers and the plant would uproot. Hydropiper is more difficult than HC (more expensive because it's not as prolific yet too). It's easier to trim and clean up in my opinion. But I wasn't sure at first if it was going to take off. My tank wasn't dialed in yet. I purchased some from a member here and it was a tiny tiny portion...like 10 small stems for $20. And I had some die off, but once I dialed in my co2 and fert regime as well as lighting and filter maintenance etc. the plant seemed to take off. The big issue is that it is very delicate at first. If you have amanos in the tank I think it would be a nightmare because they'd probably uproot a lot of it before it establishes. but it is a slower growing plant in my experience and is more fulfilling if you get it to grow. I think it also prefers colder temperatures so we shall see what happens in the summertime. but I dig it a lot and glad I made the change. I've been able to keep it and the belem apart for the most part even though I know the two are going to mingle. It's slower growing than HC and regular glosso, but the payoff is much better. It'd look great in your 60p. the hc carpet uprooting became too much of a hassle for me to deal with and not enough of a reward in the hobby at the end of the day.

btw thanks for your info on wabi-kusas.

#305 ·
the big secret is getting your parameters stable and balanced. co2, lighting, ferts, tank maintenance, water changes, filter cleaning etc. you can get on top of it, but having your rocks covered in green algae is a sign of an inbalance. have patience and keep at it. a temporary fix is to drain all the water out of your tank (or enough to get at the rocks and put a ml or so of excel on the rocks when they are airing out). but that's not going to solve the problem. It might make scrubbing them easier. at first I used to use an old sonicare to clean the rocks, then I realized that I was doing a lot of things wrong and that my tank was out of balance. I work hard to try to keep the tank balanced and have benefited from less algae issues in doing so. that's what makes the hobby fun.:smile: hope that helps. balance balance balance (and elbow grease of course).

#311 · (Edited)
Hey Tom,
That's good to hear about what you discovered with the different temperatures for the hydropiper. I've been very happy with the way that it has grown in my tank. I enjoy keeping it a lot more than the HC I used to grow. I like the pace at which this plant grows too. and so far so good with keeping the belem at bay when it creeps into the hydropiper field. I actually spread some ADA powder on top after I planted the hydropiper initially. I felt like it did make a difference keeping it in place. I'm also fortunate that the tank doesn't have any inhabitants that would uproot it. the hydropiper and belem are keeping me happy.:)

#312 ·
The only way we really learn is to falsify hypothesis and which means dispelling myths that the speculators of the Aquarium world seem to rampant with :icon_roll

But if you cannot grow it to begin with, then you cannot say much:thumbsup:
If you can, then you compare notes and observations.

I made the cooler temp assumptions, I even designed my 70 Gallon Buce tank to have it as a main carpet at one point for 70-72F. But....a small piece started growing in my 180 which is warm for the cardinals and plecos 82~84F and it was right next to the hot lighting. When the light is on, it's well over 87F in the moss top layer.

I would not have ever tried or tested this a priori.
I was just happy it grew and I did not have to buy more from somewhere overseas and have 95% dead when I got it.

I noticed the newer larger grain ADA AS did not root nearly as well as the older stuff with finer silt. The good current seems to correlate well in the 120 Gallon locations and the 180 which is up near the Vortech powerhead.

UG also behaves this same way.

I honestly thought it was a light demanding plant and would die and rot away little by little if shaded also.

So I buy into the myths myself, but I also know if I falsify a myth about a plant, I'm on that like a tick on a dog. then I'm not guessing/going along with the dogma/myths etc any more, I have some information that I know.
Thus I can really argue without fear of being wrong at about the issues I falsify.

It's welcomed news for a nice little plant that's been troublesome for many, myself included. I can grow the snot out of it, the next question is the plant suitable for gardening and scaping? I have to say yes now.

HC and belem make a nice mix also, the grass keeps the HC and similar plants from getting disturbed or uprooted. I was going to do this at one point, I still may.

Folks should read the comments here about growing it, before buying it.
Once there's enough folks selling it, then a few plant killers are okay:)

#313 ·
thanks for the feedback tom. I totally agree.

plantex should be coming tomorrow. I'm going to be interested to see if there's a change in any growth or noticeable difference by switching from seachem comprehensive to plantex +b for micros. I don't think there will be anything substantial but I am looking forward to strictly dry dosing.

#316 ·
I know my 2215 was never as quiet as it first was, after breaking one impeller shaft it got louder, then I had to replace the impeller and shaft again. It's not loud at all, just not silent like it once was.

Scape is looking great. It's just been better and better since you resolved your issues. I commend your patience and it has really paid off.

#317 ·
thanks Matt!! I think patience has been key and probably the hardest thing for me to give in to as well. I'm really liking how things have started to come together in the tank and I am enjoying it on a very different level now.

and thanks for the input on the eheim too. there's just a faint difference in the noise of mine that isn't very loud...it's just performing on a different frequency. I hope I don't snap the impeller shaft again...

all the best, walter

#322 ·
figured it out!! it's silent now!! man that was a POA but I got to the bottom of it!! :red_mouth

Great tank. Love the simplistic layout :)
thanks so much. I'm digging it too!!

Awesome carpet..!! :thumbup:

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2

Awesome to see that your Mini M is still going strong! It's fun to see the various scapes over the years. :)
thanks a lot dj2005. I was searching through some earlier photos of this tank and ones of this setup and I have learned a great great deal throughout its maturation. I'm liking this scape the most and plan to have it for some time...knock on wood

as for the eheim impeller issues... I have resolved them!! holy mackerel was that a process. I learned a lot about the eheim classic and the solution was extremely simple. when I got the replacement impeller the magnet and the plastic prop were detached. when I first put them together i think i used too much force joining the two so that when the prop spun, the bottom of the plastic prop was touching the housing. so I emptied all of the water out of the filter first....then took the impeller out. made sure that the bushings were seated flush and correctly and checked that there wasn't any random debris in the chamber. side note- I had watched a great little vid online of a kid putting petroleum jelly on the impeller to reduce friction. thought that was very clever, but I didn't go that route. Instead, I just took my time and put the pieces back together gently after I detached the magnet from the plastic prop. I made sure that I didn't use too much force this time when I reattached the magnet to the plastic prop. this gave/added a little bit of clearance...like a paper-thin amount of clearance between the plastic prop and the housing when it is seated on the ceramic rod in the motor. then I carefully hooked everything back up. primed the filter by opening the intake chamber valve first, then the outtake chamber valve which allowed the water to rush in and push any of the air out; crossed my fingers; plugged the power cord into the wall outlet and...VOILA!!

At long last!!! absolutely zero noise. no air bubbles. no random vibrations....didn't have to tip the filter or anything. just running seamlessly. so smooth. what I learned: I was the problem (as I often am). There was absolutely nothing wrong with the filter. who knew that I'd learn a valuable lesson after all. patience patience patience!! now if only I can ride that wave into tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.

best to all,

w

#323 ·
maybe I spoke too soon. my long winded excitement above aside. woke up and the buzz was back. took it apart again. this time added the petroleum jelly to anything moving with the impeller or on anything that would cause any friction. put it on the o-ring as well. and...too soon to say but....VOILA!! ....(hopefully for good). I noticed that one of the metal fasteners on the outside wasn't secure as well. for now...can't hear the filter but it is working great...fingers crossed.

#324 ·
trimmed the dhg belem this morning. it's starting to really fill in in the back where I removed the e acicularis. didn't touch the hydropiper though. I'm letting it get much much thicker before I trim it again. Also had a little issue with some h202 that I used to treat a spot of bga a little while back. the section of hydropiper that was in contact with the h2o2 has been damaged, but the new hydropiper runners are moving in and are slowly replacing the treated bga section.. noticed a couple spots of floating petroleum jelly on the water surface from when I prepped the impeller. not a problem though. I also don't have any fish in this tank. just snails, worms and all the other substrate critters. haven't seen any new gda in a while either. just the usual small sections low to the substrate. still so far so good and all systems go.

#325 ·
almost time to bleach the pipes.

filter is absolutely, 100% silent. I started to hear more noise develop later into the night and was wondering whether it was from the o2 from the plants or co2 bubbles getting trapped that was causing it. I tilted the filter a little and expelled a bunch of bubbles that had been trapped. after that...silence...we are golden.

#327 ·
Still enjoying this tank but as for the Eheim, I read above about it having bubbles? My 2215 will randomly throw out a few seconds of bubbles with a grinding noise. It is not very old; roughly 6 months; and I have never broke or replaced anything.

So to sum up fixing the problem the way you did would be to take out the magnet and gently replace it into the plastic housing with a final lubrication of everything with Vaseline?

#330 ·
my issue was a little different. I had filter issues because I had initially snapped the ceramic rod that the impeller spins on when I was cleaning the filter. I ended up replacing the impeller unit all together because my old impeller had more of an oval hole that the ceramic rod had created because of my neglect.

I agree with trigger below. sounds like you just have air in yours as well. If you tilt your filter the bubbles should dislodge. make sure all of your connections are secure. You can always check your impeller, but if your filter is only 6 months old, probably best not to mess with it unless the noise coming from it is bothersome.

That just means you have some air trapped in there. My 2215 does the same thing until I pick it up while it's running and shake it around until I get all of the air out. Usually only happens after I open it for some cleaning, or after I do a water change and the water level drops below the intake screen
+1

#331 ·
pulled the hydropiper. (sadly). but the belem really started to fill in. I noticed that after my last major trim I was having some bga issues. I don't think that I was doing enough water changes or maybe I trimmed too much. everything bounced back however at very different rates. I should maybe have planned my trimming a little more economically. The belem that I trimmed, a lot of it died off then new growth set in. also the bio film on top of the tank became really thick when I went a week without water changes. When I pushed my finger through it, it separated like shards of glass. really wild. anyway, just belem in the tank now. am moving soon so I'm just going to let it grow. I purchased a bubble counter to replace my diy syringe one. that seemed to develop leaks over time. here's what I snagged. it's pretty awesome.

here's the tank in its current state. Almost daily water changes now, using the hose to suck off any bga remnants. manual removal has proven to be way more effective than any h202 treatment. also did a major filter cleaning etc.

just belem, snails and rocks.