The Planted Tank Forum banner

usinf ferts

919 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  qbal18 
#1 ·
ok to start of i use potasion sulfat 0-0-50 sun tue and fri more or less at 1 teaspoon per time i have a 50g tank with i figure 42-45g of water. i use the kent fert every sun at 10ml (2 capful) it contains 3%potash, .00001%Cu, .24%Fe,.01Mn,.0009%Mo,.00014%Zn I use DiyCo2 not sure what level it is at still working on that but at those fert rates many of my plants are still not doing good i sometims fertilize 5-10ml on wens as well but sometins that causes a sudden bunch of hair alge on many of the more slow plants so i am afraid to fertilize to often. some of my plant leafs are still kind of yellow is not very dark green and the reed tinged plants are more green i have 150w NoFloresent Ph7.0 Kh40-60ml/l i have been usinf ph stable but am looking at switching from it. what am i doing rong.

#2 ·
It could be Fe defficient depending on how heavily planted the tank is...
When my 30 gallon was lightly planted and just starting the iron qty would maintain but now this tank is filling in and I am up to 3ml Flourish Iron daily ! That is 21ml of iron over a 7 day period and I am trying to keep it at 0.5 ppm in the water column. I myy need to go more if this keeps up...the plants are depleting this stuff fast it seems...
Also...I am now up to 3ml daily of Flourish , and 2ml daily of Flourish Potassium and I am about to start with root tabs as soon as they come in...

As far as adding your Kent ferts I would add it throughout the week as opposed to dumping in 10ml on 1 day for the weeks dosage.
The plants will do better with more frequent dosing.
All is dependant on how heavily your tank is planted+lighting+CO2 ...
I have very high lighting (5WPG) and I am at around 25 - 35 ppm CO2 so my plants get very hungry...

just a suggestion...
I would test for Fe and start adding Iron if you find it low.Since the only Iron is coming from Kent Fert I would venture to say you are going to find 0% Fe in your water column and they really need this to get the most from ferts...

Keep us posted qbal... :cool:

#3 ·
thanks i will deffinetly start adding my fert like 1-2ml per day also some say that Fe is a minor thing in the tank but others say it is very importand should i be looking into some florish Fe or maybe into the powder stuff from a hydroponics store. that is how i got my K it was 2.5Kg of 50% for $12.50can i think i can get cleated Fe for around the same.

#4 ·
Be sure to test before you go that route... it was just a suggestion because I know my tank is depleting 3ml Flourish Fe a day.
Lightly planted tanks wont use as much...

test first... ;)

Here is what the experts said ;
"Iron is a very important element that is often deficient in the aquarium. Water plants can only take up dissloved ionic or weakly chelated iron. Even when the substrate is very rich in iron oxides or other iron compounds , iron deficiency may still occur.The symptoms are growth stagnation and yellowing of the leaves."

#5 ·
ya i wil i have that hagen master test kit got it for christmas it is shure a nice kite has everything you could want.
is there any ideal levels i should be shooting for(just everything in general) also my phosphates are about 1.5ppm is that tooo high i have been haveing a problem with hair algea latly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.