The Planted Tank Forum banner

PMDD and how good is it?

963 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  m.lemay 
#1 ·
ok i keep reading about this PMDD i figure it is a home made fertilizer with all the major components in it so what i ask is is it better then just useing potasium sulfate 1 teaspoon in a 50g 1-2 times a week and .25teaspoon in a 10g. Also i use kent fresh water plant grow (it ontains 3%K20,.00001%CU,.24%Fe,.01%Mn, .0009%Mo, .00014%Zn i use 2ml per day in a 50g and .75ml in a 10g

#2 ·
PMDD (poor mans dosing drops) is a formula for fertilizing planted tanks. Originally developed by Sears and Conlin. It has evolved since then and people are using the formula as a guide to dose thier tanks. Its a good starting point but it really has to be tailored to the needs of your particular tank. The paper was originally written as a way to fertilize a planted tank while keeping algae at bay. Po4 is not included in PMDD since, back then, they believed that phosphorous was the cause of all algae problems. As the hobby has progressed we now know that keeping zero phosphate levels can actually increase certain types of algae and limit your plants ability to compete against the algae.
Heres a link that explains more about it and how to make it.

Marcel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.