The Planted Tank Forum banner

Big problem........

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Fish dude 
#1 ·
HI guys, this isnt really about planted tanks but is a big dilema, my friend who has just got a 92 liter planted tank stocked with fish which and has been running for nearly 3 months is going to move house in march time if everything goes ahead.....what can he do?, i know he should of waited to move first, if he new which i think he did.
Firstly, you cannot move a tank with plants in that has only a bit of water in, it will still weigh a tunn and it will screw up the aquascaping, also the stress for the fish, i dont know were to start!
Any suggestions on what to do?
Have any of you had this problem before and if so what did you do?!

help... :(

#2 ·
Here's what i would do if i were him: i would draw a detailed picture of my aquariums, showing where the plants and decoration things are. Then i would take up all the plants, and wrap them in wet newspapers, and put them in a plastic bag. I would transport the fish in some kind of plastic container. I would get atleast 60 liters of the old water to the new place.

- Glud

#4 ·
This is not the first time I've heard of someone moving with fishtanks, and I know I have seen people's diaries of their experience online. If you do a google search you should find something.

To keep the bacteria alive, get a scoop of gravel and put it in a bag or something with some water, but it can't be oxygen deprived. You could mix it up every so often and open the bag to let oxygen in, but an airstone would be best, which would be tricky...

-Tim

#5 ·
92 liters isn't all that big. first off, get all of the other moving done first. then get a few rubbermaid containers, one for the fish filled with tank water and one for the plants and substrate also filled with tank water. you'll have to rescape the tank, but i think this would be the best way to do it. if it tanks a while, you could run the filter on the fish container, and run the lights over the plant container.

when i move, we'll have to move a 5 (gallon), a 5.5, three 10's, two 20's, a 29 and a 75. not looking forward to that too much.

#7 ·
I read that there is a difference between the bacteria in the top gravel )earobic) and the bacteria in the bottom gravel (anaerobic), and that you should carefully take out the top 1/2 inch of gravel and be sure to replace it as the top 1/2 inch of gravel in the new tank.

#8 ·
thanks guys, im not sure what he is actually goin to do yet but i think he will realise that it will be more difficult than he reckons when it comes down to it, he is very inexperienced you see so i will let you know after he moves,
thanks for the suggestios everyone.......^^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.