The Planted Tank Forum banner

polished c02 bottle

4K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  mjalex007 
#1 ·
so on a whim tonight i decided to take my 5lb aluminum bottle. sand it and polish it :)

pretty much happened because my tank ran out early. either i injected 5 lbs worth in my 29 gallon over three weeks or i have a leak. i did check for leaks and found none.. this is the second time this has happened. neither time have i found a leak. same setup has gone 3 months before plenty of times.. ehh oh well

here ya go!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Oh, wow, I need some shades to look at that thing! :cool:

How did you do it? That is just amazing!

#12 ·
Dogfish, it is a side job :) so it does help that i have all the tools available to me

start with 180 grit move up to 320 grit move up to 500 grit.. any sander is preffered over hand. if u have to do it by hand. do it with wet sand paper and use a spray bottle to keep the medium wet. reduces a lot of fatigue..
with any kind of rotary or jig sander electric or air on a round surface its best to go back and forth perpendicular to the curve, in this instance its lengthwise of the bottle. this way you can keep the radian of the bottle without having distortions.

after 500 grit u need a 2-3 stitch or 3 ply buffing wheel. 6 inches or more is preffered. width is irrellevant until you talk heat. brown rouge followed by white rouge. then super white on a 1 stitch buffing wheel.
3,000 rpms is an excellent beginner speed and decent pressure is needed as well.

then a good soap bath and ur done

#22 ·

What do you have in that wet/dry? Looks like ramen noodle soup! LOL!

#35 ·
If u look back a few posts it goes something like180 grit sand paper then 320 then 500
Then brown rouge, white, then super white..

The super white is ultra hard to find anymore but it takes out the really fine scratches left behind using white

Believe it or not i left the bottom a little underpolished. That way ever nick and ding doesnt stand out like a sore thumb and in the cabinent u cant tell a difference.

#33 ·
I would never do this because my CO2 supplier always exchanges cylinders - I give him an empty and he gives me an already full one. Well, plus it sits inside a cabinet, but that does not stop me from understanding why you'd do it or keep me from thinking it looks terrific. It hurt when I learned about the exchange because the first one I gave him was brand spanking new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.