The Planted Tank Forum banner

Male or Female?

Male or Female?

3K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  fuzz_16 
#1 ·
This topic was suggested by someone and it got me thinking as to if males or females tend to like this hobby better. Females having a less aggressive nature and with males being the opposite. When I look at my tank all my aggression or any aggression that I had just goes away. So maybe females like this hobby more?

Time to find out. :D

#10 ·
When I ship items to people on the forum, I notice most of those names are male. Out of the 70+ people I have ship to, I think I have only shipped to 10 females. But I could be very well wrong.

Young man, checkin' in!

#14 ·
Really? I have not shipped much here at TPT, but on the forums I normally sell on and just through email and word of mouth at least 70% if not more of my customers are female. I would love to know what the actual statistics are for the hobby.

As far as keeping it nice, I am not around here that much, so I didn't see the other thread, but I'm def not being argumentative or mean. I am just genuinely curious on the subject. =)

#13 ·
I do want to put a reminder out there for everyone to . This exact type of thread was attempted a while ago by another member with good intentions. However, it quickly became a battle of the sexes and was closed as a result. So far, so good. Let's keep it that way, please. :D
Yes.. :D I was actually thinking that hopefully it wouldn't be closed....

Peace everyone.... <3

#19 ·
From working at a pet shop for awhile I can say that I've seen the numbers in women customers rising over time. I am not sure what is causing it but I am sure that it is happening. They start out just like everyone else. They want a pretty betta then they want guppies then their guppies have babies so they need a new tank so that tank turns into a new experiment and since the guppies babies like to hide in plants they get into the planted tank hobby... etc.

In response to the OP in that girls tend to be more passive and relaxed I would say that it is really how they are raised. In our culture women are assumed to be like that but I wouldnt say it is like that as much as in the past. My manager is a crazy 50 year old lady who gets her hands dirty in tanks more than any of us guys combined!

#21 ·
Eeeeeek! Loaches!!! *screams like a little girl* I have them and I STILL get creeped out when I am cleaning and they come slithering out from behind something. lol *shivers*

That is interesting about the forum. I will have to pay more attention this year and see if I have a rise in male or female orders.

#22 ·
Whoa! 70% is male. Looks like my guess was right. Lol, and I thought I was pulling statistic's out of my butt. :hihi:

#24 ·
Most girls don't like the mess, smell, yuck, and all that. Personaly i grew up playing in a swamp looking for funky bugs and stuff. So to me The yuk is nothing. Most girls like fuffy or small cute animals not cold blooded slimy fish. Most us girls that like fish were or are Tom boys I think.

#39 ·
Most girls don't like the mess, smell, yuck, and all that. Personaly i grew up playing in a swamp looking for funky bugs and stuff.
I'm a guy, and I'm afraid of bugs and insects but I'm not afraid of filter muck, smell and mess, somehow.

I'm guessing it depends on the fish. Like aggressive, big fish such as, Oscar, arowana are mostly for guys. I've seen more girls keeping bettas than guys.

I've also notice that more guys aquascape than girls do.

#25 ·
I'm a girl and I thrive on mess and yuck, LOL! You think a tank filter is bad, try cleaning out a pond filter- BLURK. I also make a living playing in mud (potter) and before that I was an animal control officer. Scraping dead animals off the highway is extremely yuck.

I should add that changing a diaper is way more gross than any aquarium filter I have ever seen! :icon_lol:

But the reason why I was drawn to the hobby was probably because it's so amazing to be able to create a complete and (hopefully) peaceful little world in a box.

My daughter is also very much interested in the hobby. The men in our lives couldn't care less about the aquariums.

#26 ·
The previous posted said exactly what I was going to say about diapers being the ultimate yuck factor :hihi:

I am female and have had aquariums for over 40 years. I have seen this hobby change so much over the years, with the variety of fish available, the type of equipment, and reef tanks.

Just my personal opinion and most likely not accurate :icon_smil, but it seems that men really like the diy stuff. I envy them their talents at building and constructing the wonderful lighting and filtration systems. I am just not that way inclined. I probably could do it, since I have been involved in the building of many of our houses, but I am just not interested. I like to spend my time doing the aquascaping, learning about and taking care of the fish & plants.

So, I suppose the great thing about this hobby is that it can be many things to many people.

#28 ·
I'm one female that likes DIY. My hubby can fix anything and does all the electrical work, but I can build stuff. :hihi: I built the housing for my light fixture, but then took it to him with the ballasts and said "Honeeeyyyyyyyyy...." LOL

#27 ·
I'm a guy.
But I have to say, More of my friends that are girls are getting interested in the planted tank hobby than my guy friends. My guy friends really couldn't care less. I'm pretty sure every single on of my girl friends has bought and planted at least a 5 gallon since I got into this hobby.
The few guy friends I do have that show even the slightest interest in fish tanks seem to gear all their interest towards reef tanks.
My best friend is hard at work trying to create her own style. She has to have done one of every style tank out there. I must say.. Shes starting to crank out tanks that rival some of the best. Too bad she doesnt have the slightest interest in sharing them with the world. I'm not sure what to call her current project. Think Amano crossed with doctor who... lol.. Natural style scene but in bright mismatching but cohesive colours.

I would love to see what more women out there could do. I think it would make this hobby more exciting.

#32 ·
That is the great thing about this hobby, there are so many ways to enjoy it.
Agreed... there are so many different aspects of keeping planted tanks, I think that's why it appeals across gender-lines.

I personally find the greatest enjoyment in cultivating a small cohesive and healthy world... and I'm just beginning to really feel comfortable with 'aquascaping'. However, I also enjoy the yuck part too, but I grew up playing in a creek-bed so to me cleaning filters is the best way to spend a Sunday afternoon :)

My boyfriend meanwhile is gaining interest in the hobby because of all the cool gadgetry and diy opportunities... and I am SO GEEKED about that! My tanks have never looked better :D

#30 ·
I'm a female and I've really gotten into the whole "decorating" aspect of things. And having a harmonized balanced world in my tank. I LOVE my tank lol. However, my brother seems to be more into the I have a "saltwater tank with such and such fish". His is a beautiful centerpiece in his home.

#31 ·
i assume a 50/50 split really because there are so many perspectives of this hobby that its hard to base the division of sexes from a single aspect. There is something about planted tanks for everyone from every walk of life. Its the best hobby I have ever discovered and I am easily swayed.... like adult ADD swayed.. hehe

#34 ·
Its always a struggle to decide on new fishy stuff or shoes/clothes/purses - oh the dilemma it always poses! I have to admit that shoes do beat out fishy stuff most of the time :)

Girly girl fish tank lover here and yes, cleaning the filter makes me squirm a little bit.

The last few purchases I made locally from fellow members caught them off guard - "Dude, I thought you were a guy" is exactly what three of them said when we met to exchange goods - was fun to see their expressions.

Another little % increase for the girls! (I am also always envious of the awesome DYI'rs around here - its one of my favorite sections to read - I so wish I could do some of it!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.