The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fry food question

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  garfieldnfish 
#1 ·
I wanted to see if I could breed my CPD's. I was reseaching fry food and came across something called Liquifry #1 and Infusia. My research said that:

1. Liquifry #1 could be substitured by hard boiled egg yolk, mashed and mixed with a little water.

2. Infusia could be made at home by putting a piece of peeled potato in de-chlorinated water. Then in a few days you had infusia.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or are there better suggestions??

Thanks guys and I hope everyone is having a great Christmas season!!

#2 ·
Do you mean infusoria? Great for feeding brine/fairy shrimp and for really tiny fry. Can grow it a number of ways. From soaking brown leaf litter and plant matter in direct sunlight for a week to using a potato.

Decapsulated brine can be food for many fry - along with various powdered forms of food. Spirulina powder, brine powder, vinegar eels, microworms, powdered egg yolk.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to have a few different fry foods on-hand and use them all.

#3 ·
Yes, that's right! I copied the term off of another site and apparently that person did not know how to spell it either.:icon_conf

Thanks, that info helps. I am taking this slowly and trying to get all the info I can before I try. I have 6 CPD's, 3 males and 3 females. They are just getting old enought to color up real good.

#7 ·
Kool! Thanks for all the advice. I need to get a small breeding tank set up. But on another note I have 2 guppies (1M/1F) in the tank with them and today I saw a baby guppy. Just one, but I have a forest of Giant Red Rotala (Rotala Macrandra) lining the back wall and there may be more. I am so excited!!! :bounce:

#8 ·
Same here. I only feed them microworms and they thrieve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.