The Planted Tank Forum banner

Good place to buy plants in Boston?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Sparky007 
#1 ·
I'll be in town for 4 days, was wondering if there were any good LFSs to check out around the Cambridge area. Thanks!

#4 ·
Nice, but I went there few weeks ago and they had no UG and only java moss. They really only stock what can live in there holding tank or cheaper plants. They can order but obviously that won't help you out.

#12 ·
I went to one in Chinatown about 4 years ago. They seemed to specialize in koi and goldfish? Most of their tanks were full of them. I do recall 1 tank full of peppered cories too.

Has anyone been to Skiptons? I've heard about it a lot but it's in a part of town I try to avoid, but if it's worth the trip I'll definitely go.

#13 ·
A Skiptons is acutally in the South End of Boston close to Mass. Ave and 93 (I think). It is walking distance to Boston Medical Center.

The area is doggy but fine during the day.

I worked in that area for years and never knew there was a fish store there.

I passed by July 4th weekend but did not stop. Looks like the small stores I see around my home.

I been wanting to take a trip to allfish emporium here in South Florida. It is as big as a Best Buy.

I could not have bought anything anyway.

#15 ·
Skiptons is going all fish, with big plans to add more tanks. They usually have excellent stock (healthy). They will not sell a sick fish which is reassuring. Their plant selection is hit or miss. A hit if you get there when an order comes in, a miss if it is picked over. They will order whatever you want, which is nice. They have several dedicated freshwater employees that really now their stuff and it fun to shot the breeze with them. They also sell RO water for 50 cents a gallon, which is good for me as I don't have room for an RO unit in my apartment.

Tropic Isle is nice, but far from me and have to pay tolls on the Mass Pike to get there. Lovely pets has some good fish and plants, but again, far from Boston in Quincy (a nightmare trip there and back in the normal Boston traffic).

I do wish we had a big store like Marine Depot near here, but alas, we make do as seems to be the inner moto of all New Englanders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.