The Planted Tank Forum banner

What are you feeding your Bumblebees?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  HX67 
#1 ·
Happy Saturday!! I have 2 Bumblebee Gobies in a tank with Neons, Harlequin Rasboras and a couple of Albino Cories. I have had them for about a month and they are now spending most of their time out front lying around on the driftwood, chasing each other and just generally looking cute. They seem happy and healthy. My concern is that I have never seen them eat. I feed a variety of flake food, frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. I saw one of them eat a brine shrimp last night but he spit it out. Should I be concerned?? Is there something else I need to add to the feeding mix?? :icon_neut

#7 ·
I have a Brachygobius doriae (Gold Banded Bumble Bee). They are very cute with their frowny faces. I am going to head to the LFS on Monday and see if they have live foods. I have also read where target feeding with a baster would work. I am just afraid that all the faster fish in the tank are being greedy. I was even thinking of moving them into another tank I am setting up for some CPD's. Any thoughts??

#8 ·
BBGs are very slow feeders. I've got a dozen or so of B. doriae in a 1,003 brackish tank with no competing fish in the water section. They feed on prepared food as well as any frozen/live.
If I was me, I'd move your fish to another tank and put some salt in with them.

Fishbase states "pH range: 8.0 - 8.0; dH range: 9 - 19 demersal" for them. All your other fish seem to be softer water inhabitants, so separation would do good IMO.
I don't think celestial pearl danios would be good tankmates either, their ideal water conditions don't overlap with bumblebees...

#9 ·
Thank You HX67. I may just do that. What size is your BBG tank?? Everything I have read says that they need at least a 30g tank. I have several empty 10g. If I set it up just for them do you think they will be ok? They are such little fish.

#10 ·
My pleasure. Just opinions, though.

Mine are in a paludarium with about 40-45 gal water capacity. Only 7" deep, so quite a bit footprint.

Nevertheless, for once I must say that a suggestion seems a bit highish to me! I mean, 30 gallons sure does sound a large for a minimum for these. I recall reading Neale Monk's opinion being that you can safely put a dozen in a 10 gal... I have a lot of respect on his opinions. Might not put that many in a ten myself, though.

Other than when they reproduce they seem to tolerate each other pretty well. Very little chasing or other aggression that I have noticed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.