Activity - Page 48
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 05-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #706
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Blackheart, did you get it set up last night?

Anyone else have anything going on?
Yes except for I've had another hiccup... I've filled the tank up all the way only to discover the gravel looks almost white and the tank is very bright. Not a fan of how bright it is.

So I will be tearing down once again and probably using just eco complete... Not really the biggest fan of how it looks, but I guess it might work considering I have an extra 80 pounds of it so it won't cost me anything.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #707
Maechael
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mr pixel, perhaps raise the temps a bit?
Unsure of pro/con of fluidized sand beds for certain fish, such as otos, as the filter might trap/eliminate microorganism the otos need.

Could you check your TDS perhaps?

There is always the possibility the fish are being stressed by tankmates, lighting, an unchecked parameter
or it could just be poor luck.

Perhaps move one from the living tank to the killer tank?
Emersed Tub Club #27
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #708
mrpixel
Algae Grower

I bought another Oto for the death tank. I has made it past the 24 hours. There is a type of algae in the tank that no one can seam to identify. It's Purple Algae like what you see in a saltwater tank.
TDS was 113, lighting is medium low lighting. The only other thing that I can test for that the past test kit doesn't is silicates.
The Fluidized sand bed is for growing beneficial bacteria, so I don't think that it will be trapping or eliminating anything important. It doesn't filter anything really other than the pre sponge filter I have on the intake tube.
I picked up 3 more female lamp eye tetras for that tank since the 5 males currently in there are all trying to court the 1 female every morning. I'm going to have to document the courting process since it is different than what I've read online. Online doesn't say anything about the males losing almost all of there color every morning when they fight each other for right to breed with her. She just sits there and the males go crazy chasing each other around the tank.

A little side rant about Jerks.
A guy in Warran posted on FB a 90 Gallon tank with 2x4 stand for $140. I talked with him via chat and we came to the agreement of $120 and I would pick up the tank the following day (Sunday). I told him that I would Call him Sunday morning after church to let him know I was on my way and he said no problem. I get out of church at noon and txt him and he said that he just sold it at 10A.M.
I understand that if someone else offers you the asking price where as someone else was interested in it at $20 less than it's a no brainer to take the higher offer, but you should at least let the other person make a counter offer or see if they would match the new offer. $140 I feel was a great price and was surprised that he came down even further. I would have paid $150 for it if he had given me the chance to counter offer the new person. That was a dick move for him to sell it out from under me.
I've very glad that I didn't sign the papers on a storage unit in order to make room for the tank like I had planned to.
mrpixel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:43 AM   #709
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

Man that's a bummer. I would have been pissed. That is pretty rude too.

I re-setup my 55 again and filled it up with eco complete and a black background. I also picked up another Aquaclear 70 for it. Petsmart has it on sale for 40 bucks this week. Should be pretty well filtered now with an Aquaclear 70 on each side of it.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #710
Maechael
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pixel, do you have an image of the algae?
If it's slimey reddish purple it is probably cyanobacteria.
Emersed Tub Club #27
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #711
mrpixel
Algae Grower

Maechael. I'll have to grab a picture to night. I'll also take a sample out and smell it. That should tell real quick if it's Cyanobacteria.
Old Today, 04:55 PM   #712
mrpixel
Algae Grower

It's hard to tell from the pictures but here is the algae. I'm pretty sure it's algae since it feels like silk and is going to require a razor blade to remove. No odor comes from it when it is scrapped and sniffed.
Looking at it from the side it appears purple, looking at it straight on, it appears wet dirt brown.

The other pictures are the latest results of my LED testing. A simple fixture that I threw together to test plant growth with LEDs that have a nanometer range in which chlorophyll A and B absorption happens. I currently have it on a house plant and I'm monitoring it's daily growth. Once I see results, I will move it over to a tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-05-05 22.53.53.jpg (46.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-05 22.55.06.jpg (39.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-05 22.38.14.jpg (40.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-05 22.38.25.jpg (32.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-05 22.38.32.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.