The Planted Tank Forum banner

$70 DIY 70W HQI Metal Halide

51K views 109 replies 42 participants last post by  forddna 
#1 ·
This is a 70 watt HQI metal halide pendant that I made for around $70, in this picture I am just holding it over my 75 gallon:

It would probably have been a little brighter but the bulb was brand new and not fully warmed up, I think they break in for a little while and get brighter.

Here are all the parts:

$29.99 BallastWise.com HID E-B DXE70HID1 70W Electronic Ballast

$20.20 Astralux MH 70W DE 8KK Ultra White Bulb

$10 Brinks 300W Halogen Outdoor Floodlight from Walmart

$6 Grounded Power Cord and two extra wire nuts.

For about $70 plus a little extra for shipping, you can make this light. The floodlight comes with 3 wire nuts, so you only need two more. The wiring is very simple, there is a diagram on the ballast, it's pretty self explanatory. The floodlight comes with 300 watt halogen bulb that you throw away, and a 70 watt HQI bulb fits the same socket.

*The wire that is hanging down from the floodlight is for ground, the setup is not grounded in that picture, MAKE SURE TO GROUND THE LIGHTING ENCLOSURE/REFLECTOR/SOCKET AND BALLAST.

Here is the light output shortly after turning it on, I am using a different ballast and the setup is grounded in this pic:

You can remove the reflector and socket, and mount them in a hood or enclosure. You could just hang the floodlight, but it would be kind of industrial looking.

I am using this same kind of bulb over a 60cm (18 gallon) tank and it's the perfect amount of light for that tank. I think that one of these along with one or two compact flourescents would be great over a 3 foot tank, or two of these with CF's for a 4 foot tank. I think that a 96 watt CF with two of these hanging 10" above a 4 foot/120cm tank would be perfect.

***Warning: Use this information at your own risk. I take no responsiblity for any damage and/or injuries that might occur.***

See less See more
#70 ·
By power cord, are you talking about the one that plugs into the wall outlet? If so then the prong that is thinner is hot and the one that is wider is common. The wires should be in the same position. Usually one wire is smooth and the other has a ridge, so you can tell which wire is which at the other end.
can anyone confirm this???

#76 ·
You can also find the bulbs on eBay- just ordered a 70w 10k bulb $24.99 (19.99 +5) shipped will probably get it early next week. The people over @ ballastwise are very very friendly! I thought I'd order the 100W model but couldn't find a 100w bulb anywhere. They had my order changed in minutes and shipped out the next day. I got the floodlight from Lowes, and they sell a 500w halogen fixture for 5.99. I will post pics when it's all built.

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=260217729711

#96 ·
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I just ordered up two of the ballastwise ballasts, two 6500k bulbs from the link on the previous page and two reflectors from hellolights. I don't trust modding the halogen sockets so I spent some extra cash for safety and peace of mind. All in all, I eneded spending a little over $200 for two 70 watt setups for my 65g breeder. I have a 2x95 CF setup on there now that I hate so the two 70w MHs will be replacing that setup. I will report back when I build a new canopy and get it all installed. Months from now. :redface:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.