The Planted Tank Forum banner

20 Gallon long setup ????'s

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  m.lemay 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

There is a 20 gallon long at petsmart for sale 18 bucks. I like the looks of it and it is only 12" high.

My question is how many WPG will this recieve using a 20 Watt bulb???

My question arises because a 10 gallon of similar height takes a 20 W bulb...see where I am going with this.

Since the tank is shallower (20 gallon) wouldnt this recieve the same light as the 10 gallon? especially if both are 12" tall?????

Thanks,

Mike

Really thinking on getting this one It takes a standard 29 gallon hood with 20 W light in it. :D

#2 ·
One problem with a 20 long is the dark spots at the ends. Tank is 30" long and the bulbs is 24". All-glass does make a twin tube(2x20w) 30 inch hood. As for growing plants, the single 20w on a 20 long is pretty dim, good for Anubis and Java Fern but not much else.

Alex

#3 ·
Well, the obvious answer is 1 WPG. But I think I know what you're getting at. IMO 2-20watt bulbs would be better for growing plants even though the tank is shallow, you still have to get the light to cover the whole tank. What exactly are your goals for this tank, planted, quarantine, low tech...?

Marcel

#4 ·
Well everyone....after looking at the posts in the lighting section I think I could convince my wife to get two 10 gallon ones...one could be a quarrantine/breeding and the other could be a 10 gallon planted.

I will check with AH supply CO to see about retrofits for a hood....walmart sells a kit there for 29 bucks that is ten gallon/hood/filter/net etc...I could do a retrofit for that right...only prob is it is incandescent....but looks the same as a FL kit.

I could put two 13 watt pc's from ah in there right? That would make a fine 2.6 WPG....good for a pseudo low tech no CO2 setup.

Any thoughts.....

I could then get another simple one and just run it as a hospital tank.....do you need lighting for a hospital/quarrantine tank? Couldnt I just get water, filter, heater for it?

Mike :D

#5 ·
Why not just use some screw in compact flourescent lamps, They're cheap and easy. Theres been a couple of good threads for these in the lighting section. Do a search.

Marcel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.