The Planted Tank Forum banner

Should this lighting be adequate/enough?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rex Grigg 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

In my recently st up 65 gal I used 4 NO fluorescents (1x 3000K, 2x 6500K, 1x 10.000K) However I'm having problems with most plants...

Could this be due to the light or do you think it is sufficient/adequate

I have no reflectors, only a mirror behind the lamps and I recently removed the glass cover from the aquarium. I was also considering painting the inside of the canopy white.

Suggestions?

I'm trying to exclude nutrient deficiencies and other types of problems and i'M COMPLETELY FREAKING OUT! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paulo Pinheiro

#2 ·
Well if your tank is a standard 36" 65 gallon tank that means you have 120 watts of light over it. So you are just under 2 wpg. And with out any kind of reflector your actual usable watts are closer to 1-1.25 watts per gallon. So the reason you are having problems with most plants is simple. Not enough light. If you paint the inside of the canopy white it will help a bit. The mirror doesn't do a thing for you as it mainly causes restrike.

You have three real choices. Read the thread on ODNO bulbs. Get a real reflector, or go over to www.ahsupply.com and get some lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.