The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2, photoperiod, and should I use carbon in my filter???

545 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Txboi25 
#1 ·
Hi I have three questions to ask as my plant will be delivered tomorrow

1. How soon before my lights come on should my Co2 come on and how soon before my lights turn of should my CO2 turn off? Or should it turn on as soon as the lights turn and as soon as they turn off?
2. How long should my photoperiod be?
3. Should I use carbon in my filter? Or will it absorb the fertilizer?

My tank specs 5 gallon nano LED that's for high light CO2 system with solenoid valve

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
1) Usually 1-2 hours before lights come on. You want the drop checker to hit the right color by the time the lights come on so could be less time. Should turn it off no later than when the lights turn off, you can use the drop checker to see if you can turn it off earlier and still maintain the necessary ppm of co2. Maybe an hour or so before the lights turn off.

2) Usually no more than 8 hour photoperiod. It can depend on the tank and how much light for if it should be less or more, but thats the standard amount to shoot for and stay at.

3) Don't need the carbon at all and it will likely mess with your ferts.

^^

#3 ·
1. Generally, CO2 on 1 hour before lights on and CO2 off 1 hour before lights off. This is a good starting point, you can adjust from there.

2. We need to know more about your light but I like to start new tanks at around 6 hours.

3. You can use it if you want, it can be helpful for new tanks (tannins etc) but it is not needed generally. If your carbon isn't changed out often its not doing much anyways.

#4 ·
1. I generally hear the CO2 should come on about an hour before the lights do. I turn off my CO2 30min before lights out.
2. You will hear a lot of different answers to this question. I would try to stay below 8 hours.
3. Carbon will pull out fertilizer and various toxins in the water, however it will eventually leech them back in. In a planted tank carbon is not really that useful except for removing medication imo. You may want to take a look a purigen if you like the idea of carbon. However, neither is necessary for a healthy planted tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.