The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Tiger Shrimp Morph - White/Ghost Tiger Orange Eyes

14K views 154 replies 28 participants last post by  Soothing Shrimp 
#1 ·
Changed substrates in my Tangerine Tiger tank the other day. Today while replanting, I found a very interesting guy roaming around. His body is clear to a white color and his eyes are orange.

Grabbed the camera and started shooting. Then I found another one. Same exact size so I'm wondering if these guys are twins.

I'm going through the pics now to see if any turned out ok.

Stay tuned.....

Anyone else find this type of morph with the Tangerines?

#5 ·
Interesting, I have one also in with my TT's, it was part of a recent hatch. A friend of mine who bought some TT's from me also found one or 2 in his tank.

Mine have crossed with CRS and are producing Tibees and I thought it might come from the cross but maybe not.... just a colorless shrimp with yellow eyes, and a few small black marks on its sides similar but smaller than the average TT.

#9 ·
But I'm curious as to the eye color if it were true albino. For many years people thought albino horses existed and now we know that's not true and it's simply a maximal expression of another pattern. Have their been any true albino shrimp documented? A quick google search isn't really getting me anywhere except pictures of goldens and clear RCS. :redface:

#10 ·
As far as I know, no true albinos have existed in the world of shrimp as of yet- but then again, no real research has been done on albinism in shrimp that I'm aware of.

Some speculation surrounds the color of eye and ocular albinism, but no one has done the data yet.

Technically this would be the anerythristic form of albinism (aka black albino) if this were the case- meaning all yellow and red pigment is not produced. You can see the ghost still has black.

#11 ·
I would love to experiment with this further but with only two, may be a bit difficult. I think they are both males but still a bit early to tell yet.

These guys haven't been crossed with any other Caridinas so finding other test subjects may be tricky.

I sure will be willing to bring in other specimens if other people have any of them.

#14 ·
Well I love them. I think they're neat as heck.....

Please do try breeding them out.

I thought albinism was able to happen in any organism? Isn't it just a simple genetic mistake that eventually gets passed on?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#15 ·
#19 · (Edited)
ETA: Let me clarify, there have never been documented cases of LIVING albino horses because the gene responsible is lethal to horses and most die in utero or within 48 hours of birth. So yes while it CAN happen, the majority of us will never see it. I would expect this would be true for more than just horses and that the animals are so weak they don't live long past birth.

#21 ·
Seriously not trying to derail but I can tell you without a doubt there has never been a documented true albino horse. Again, not just a casual 'reader' of equine genetics.
From what I hear it's not that they don't exist. It's that they die and albinism in horses have been linked to gastrointestinal issues as well as other fatal problems.

#24 ·
Jamie, I know next to nothing about horses other than they're really neat lol.

I'd just assume there's multiple ways for albinism to pop up? Maybe eventually there will be an albino horse.

That wasn't my point. I just wanted to reaffirm my thought that everything in the world can have an albino trait.

Which it was right. I'd be sad if albino shrimp died as eggs :/

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#26 ·
I didn't read the above comments so maybe this has already been answered. The shrimp looks sick to me. Are the antennae the same exact length as the other normal looking shrimp?

http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/134-Shrimp-Diseases-Bacterial-Infection

I'm just taking a guess here....but look at the before last pic how the infection changed the color on the red tiger shrimp.

But the bacterial infection wouldn't affect the eye color would it? That last photo is an OEBT/red tiger cross which would explain the orange eyes.

#30 ·
No its not a blonde OEBT...blondes are not white at all but a very pale blue that can't really be seen without some fancy lighting/camera skills.

That shrimp is WHITE no doubt about that! If its not a bacterial infection and I would move them to a separate area just in case, then I would do ask suggested and put one or two regular TT females in with these 2 white males and see what comes out of the next generation. What do you have to lose? If they die, then you know it was bacterial, if they reproduce and you get white again with orange eyes then you have something wonderful happening. :proud:

Isn't that what this hobby is all about! After all that's what Micha Nadal is doing with his hybrid shrimps and the World is watching his creations....go for it.

If you don't want to try, sell them to me and I will do it. :icon_bigg

#32 ·
so just to show you what a hybrid tt x cbs cross looks like, here is a few of mine. You can see the black stripes from the Tiger gene and the white banding from the CBS/Bee gene. They also have spots on some too which comes from the TT. All are Orange in color!

I am wondering what you might get if you crossed a TT x Snowball shrimp? These TTs breed with anything.

Hey we could breed them to my hybrids and see what comes out :icon_cool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.