The Planted Tank Forum banner

General Chat - Talk about anything!

69K views 1K replies 52 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 ·
Hoping this thread can be used for whatever nonsense, feel like asking questions? Ranting? Dropping in to say hi? Talking about your day? I'd love to hear about it.

Earlier today, there were comments on how we're all nerdy hahaha. So, what nerdy things aka hobbies do you guys like? I'm a big bio nerd and love learning up on animals and live stuff. And agreed, planted tanks...very sciencey. Too much, in fact :icon_eek:

#56 ·
I started dry ferts about 1 1/2 months ago and I would have to say that the plants really fast, and I'm talking aboutmplants that arent supposed tomlike anubias and fissidens.

3 days ago, I started using roots tabs, and that has made dramatic differences as well. Some of the stem plants seem to be more upright now.

I'm now a big believer of dry fert dosing.

#58 ·
So I was given an assignment just now for English. It's a 3 page Descriptive essay on anything you want. I was thinking about writing it on aquascaping, coincidentally I had the Book of ADA on me and I was like hey can i do this topic? *shows her the book because she didn't know what aquascaping was.* She's like errr I guess but you certainly can't get use the book or thats plagiarizing... I'm like errrr what is there really to plagiarize? She kinda doubted the fact I'd be able to do 3 pages double spaced, and 12pt font, on aquascaping.

Do you think I should stick to aquascaping or should I just do a story?

#60 ·
that's an interesting topic.

You could talk about the concept of, origins, founders, how it has evolved over the years, the tools, design aspects, commonly used plants and why, color variations, use of visual scaling, science of lighting and water chemistry and maybe show before and after photos just to seal the deal.

or you could just plagiarize. LOL

#72 · (Edited)
Augh, I think I forgot to give you syringes, Albert! I knew I was forgetting someone.

I would love to hit the aquarium one of these days ... months ... something. I've got one free parking ticket and my car can fit four other people. Really, this is way more than I normally get out of the house already, but WHEE! Also, it would be nice to be somewhere where people don't look at me funny for squealing over the fish.

Also would like to visit NJ, but I'm not allowed to bring home any more tanks or fish.

#78 ·
i wonder if this would work... just thinking out loud...

For the november meet, would meeting up at LES and carpooling to 4 LFS and have lunch be of interest? If so, it would have to be on a saturday due to blue sky laws. Stops would be Fishtown, Ridgewood aquarium imports, Rt4 aquariums, Absolutely fish. I think there is one a few miles south but havent looked into this seriously yet.

Thoughts?

Where are my syringes?!?!?!?!? :p

Thanks for the ferts ed. looking forward to dry fertz. I'm going to dose for plants sans Nitrates so dry fertz would be the best option.

#82 ·
Uh, based on my limited understanding, the term refers primarily turn-of-the-century laws meant to ensure investor confidence in securities offerings. It's been supplemented by later laws requiring public disclosure of certain information and the Securities and Exchange Commission.

#89 ·
Ok, I will try this at 2:12 in the morning.

Many years ago, one aspect of my job responsibility was to file Blue Sky Laws every month for hedge funds.

Within a hedge fund, obviously you have investors from all over the States, well they actually have to keep track of how much money is being deposited or withdrawn from each of the States. Each state has limits and you can't go over it. If you go over, then the taxes that incurs on the hedge fund is not friendly.

ok, my head hurts...feel like throwing up now. :confused1:

what does this have to do with the meet up Albert!?!?!? LOL

going to sleep. :)

#92 ·
To get mildly back on topic: I'm happy to drive from CT to NJ and pick up anyone who needs a ride along the way. Uh, but I won't be going first to LES, Bronx and Queens are as brave as I can be with driving. I work on some Saturdays, so just let me know which one we'd be aiming for.

PM me, I can mail you syringes ;) hehehe

#95 ·
Yeah, the older I get, the more I realize that all of those wonderful things (principles) we learned in schools were principles which the United States was supposed to be based on, but in practice are not.

Read about the history of the term "blue law" here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law

They get away with it by saying that they have these laws to limit traffic on peoples day off. But if a place is zoned for business you have no business living there. ;-)

Alfred

#96 ·
Wow, you guys just destroyed my morning brain. Have mercy.

Blue laws= no alcohol sales, no electronics sales. And chibi, it's NJ. Nuff said. :D

The long tour sounds like a lot of fun to me, we should invite folks from NJ to make it a riot (hm, and they'll have cars so carpooling might be easier...lol), and go eat meatballs at IKEA in Paramus, lol! BTW, Ridgewood Aq is closed on Sundays (says a person from the NJ forum). And how about we focus on the upcoming BAS event, the Giant Auction next Friday, Oct 12th at 8:30? It's short notice, but I think Heartnet and I may already go. Hopefully, I can meet up with furnfins again and others?

More info: http://www.basny.org/Documents/EventFlyers/2012/BAS-Event-Flyer-October-2012.pdf

http://www.basny.org/events
Great Speakers
Free Refreshments
Free Fish Food Samples
Free Parking
Free Raffles and Door Prizes
Great Auctions – Hundreds of Fish, Plants, Corals, etc.

It will be a lot of saltwater, judging from their previous one:
http://www.basny.org/id814-bas-event-may-1-2012.html

I know that Frank from Frank's Aquarium works at the Brooklyn Aquarium, maybe we can arrange some kind of group-order with him if you folks are still looking for specific fish? I've always loved his fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.