4. Taxiphyllum Sp. "Flame moss"

5. CPD
6. Oto's
7. Crossocheilus siamensis (True)
8. Amano's
9. Cherry Shrimp
10. Still deciding...

My inspiration
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/229/9/2/mountainscape_with_lake_by_burtn-d5bf3fx.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/nasfish/Rockscape/IMG_7480a.jpg

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122232&highlight=flshrfun

Here is my basic layout (still in works).

Since the layout is on paper (tank footprint) not in Aquasoil, I cant get the elevation differences/rock placement %100. Any suggestions based on the #1 "inspiration" link would be much appreciated!:icon_smil I plan on using ADA Nile Sand to replace the lake. HC will cover over the rocks and throughout the scape as in link #2. Ammania SP. will be in the front corners and background (cut to different heights). Fissidens Fontanus will be in the rock crevices, and the Flame Moss will be placed behind the rocks as in link #3 to mimic a tree line.

Thank you!

See less See more
#4 ·
Your inspiration photo is similar to several terrific scapes that were in the top 200 IPALC this year. http://en.iaplc.com/results12/top200vote/ Use smaller plants behind and even tree shaped stem plants in front like #93.

If you want the scape to reflect the photo then the large rocks would be the mountains and you would have rolling hills of a larger scale ground cover in front and smaller to the rear. #134 might be the sort of thing you are looking.

I do like your current groupings though. What happens if you scoot the central group to the right a bit so it is better associated with the right hand group? The right hand group in front might be a bit larger than necessary too or perhaps the left hand group is a bit short. Depends on the height of the tank which way to go, right?

#5 ·
Your inspiration photo is similar to several terrific scapes that were in the top 200 IPALC this year. http://en.iaplc.com/results12/top200vote/ Use smaller plants behind and even tree shaped stem plants in front like #93.

If you want the scape to reflect the photo then the large rocks would be the mountains and you would have rolling hills of a larger scale ground cover in front and smaller to the rear. #134 might be the sort of thing you are looking.

I do like your current groupings though. What happens if you scoot the central group to the right a bit so it is better associated with the right hand group? The right hand group in front might be a bit larger than necessary too or perhaps the left hand group is a bit short. Depends on the height of the tank which way to go, right?
Thanks Kathyy!
Love the link to the IPALC! I made a few changes. I used a different rock for the back, and moved it to the right. I used some more paper to create some height, as though they were on soil. Aside from a few accent rocks that might find their way in I am 90% satisfied. I am trying to figure out how to pitch the substrate. I know typically the slope is on a downward angle from the back to front say 30-45 deg. To keep the scape with the photo I plan on having all corners pooling into the center, with the front area open and level for viewing. Does this make sense?

Thanks again for the suggestions! Much appreciated, cant wait to put this all together :icon_smil

#10 ·
Update!

Hi everyone,

Currently I am building the stand. I should have it complete by next weekend. I received a couple more pieces for the project today :eek:

I have to say this Finnex Ray2 is sexy; :proud: Finnex! Cant wait to see how it grows plants.

Once I finish the stand I will get the Aquasoil and layout my hardscape. Hopefully in 2 weeks or I will have this tank filled and running!

Thanks for watching :biggrin:!

#11 ·
#15 ·
I can't seem to see any of the pictures except the first two. The second layout of the rocks looks good, but the rightmost set of rocks looks very flat and weak compared to the rest.

#17 · (Edited)
Stand & Hardscape Complete PICS

It has been a little over a month since my last post and things have finally come together. I have completed my ADA style stand which took longer than expected, (part time) but it was SO worth the wait! The Apex Jr. is programmed and most of the hardware is in the cabinet but not connected....yet :biggrin:. My LFS was out of HC and a few other plants I needed to kick this tank off completely, but ill try a few other places tomorrow.
Lastly below I listed so features of my setup and some overdue pictures. Thanks for tuning in! :biggrin:

DIY ADA Stand:
1. Formica (Slate Blue)
2. 35" Tall (For tall ppl like me)
3. Soft self closing hinges.
4. Wide adjustable feet via an alen wrench under cabinet mat.
5. Automatic cabinet light on/off.
6. Spring door catch.

Lighting:
1. Led strip for sun rise/set, 3200k
2. Moonlight, True lumen 10,000k
3. Finnex Ray 2 DD

PICS
https://plus.google.com/photos/105420551411964310467/albums/5856317728871434401?authkey=CP3fv-nDlLnq0gE

#19 ·
If you have time, could you post more details about the hardware you used on the stand? Where did you get them? I'm planning a similar build on an uneven corner in my living room, so I'm particularly interested in your leveling feet. Hinges and catches would be useful to know about too.

#25 ·
Update HC Transition

The tank has been filled for a week now and most of my HC has melted. My prior research tells me this is just a transition period...I hope. Tank temperature is 76F, Flow is good, lighting is more than sufficient from my research, and my Co2 is 3-4bps (Yellow DC). I dose K2so4 and MGso4 5g each dry after every water change. As per ADA's instructions I change my water every day about 30-40% and only dose my Potassium. I also dose traces via Aquavitro Envy for added peace of mind. Seachem Prime is used for water conditioner, and Nutrifin cycle to help my bio filter.

Any comments or suggestions welcome! HC guru's welcome!

Sorry for the image quality, my DSLR battery is dead.

#32 ·
The tank has been filled for a week now and most of my HC has melted....Any comments or suggestions welcome! HC guru's welcome!
I'm not an HC guru, but if you have your heart set on HC, I would try the dry start method. It's worked well for me. This method gives the tiny roots a chance to spread and establish, and I try to get a good sized clump of it to grow before saturating it with co2 and water.

#26 ·
Week 3

Tonight I removed dead plant matter and cleaned the glass. I do a %50 water change every 3 days. I have been dosing 5g K2SO4, Aqua Vitro Envy 3ml, and just started my left over Flourish FE 1.75ml. I do notice Green Hair Algae and GSA on the substrate, also there seems to be flakes of clear white stuff floating around. I'm not sure if its algae, plant matter or w/e, any ideas?

My tank is still cycling (fishless) so I haven't added any shrimp or otos. I dose Nutrafin Cycle for bio filter support. I am going to get Green Bacter this weekend.

The HC is starting to root and spread. I added Myaca which seem to be growing very fast! The Glossostigma is in transition but I'm hoping it fills in nicely for the back corner.

Just Phone pics for today :frown:

#27 ·
6/1/13 Update "Move"

I recently moved and had to tear the old scape down. The HC was growing out but I decided to go with DH, as the maintenance for HC is very tedious with cleanup / uprooting and next time I am definitely using powder substrate.

The present scape has been up for about a week, and the plants seem to be settling in well. The DH is slowly sending out new growth, but I think its still transitioning. (Anyone have DH tips? ) I want to carpet the entire substrate and work from there with the scape. I want this tank to be bright green! :icon_bigg

The Finnex Ray II is top notch! I have to trim the Rotala R. Every 3 days. The Rotala Indica grows more slowly; I trim it twice a month.

I am going to buy some more DH so I can get this carpet rolling.

Thanks for watching!

Mr. Snail getting some sun

Follow the leader

Stay in formation!

#34 ·
Update October

Hi Everyone,

The 60P has evolved a bit in the past two months. I changed the hard-scape on the left side for more impact due to the tall growing Ammania Bonsai. I also added some HM Amano, thanks to Zorfox on the right to soften the hard-scape and grade the transition to the Rotala Indica. The DH has grown in great and I'm % 99.99 happy with everything.

Let me know what you think!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.