The Planted Tank Forum banner

how does a female Celestial Pearl Danio lay her eggs?

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Bryanmc1988 
#1 ·
so i was wondering how does a female lay her eggs? do the male have to squeeze it out of her or does she just lay them when she wants too?

i'm asking cause i have a female that is laying eggs but not all the eggs are fertilize so does she go in the breeding mod and lay them and the male comes later to fertilize the eggs? or does the male have to squeeze it out of her?

#4 ·
If you want to collect and raise them, I've found providing moss for them to spawn in works well. either loose moss or something you can set the moss in and take out every few days. I was able to collect eggs and get fry to hatch this winter but they kept dieing off. Going to try it again when it warms up, maybe with a tank/tub in my sun room with just moss in it.

#5 ·
i dont have a problem harvesting the eggs as this is how my tank is set up for them to breed...

and i have breed these for years now but what i wanted to know was how the females layed her eggs or does the male come and squeeze her as some of the eggs are not fertilize and i dont stick around 24/7 looking at them mate and lay eggs... i just check every night and see if there is any eggs below the mesh

this mesh goes from one corner to the other so there is no way the CPD's can enter the bottom tank... unless they are that small where they can fit through the mesh holes if they where cut into small chunks lol

some might ask why not just use live moss... the answer to that is simple... when you use live moss it tends to get rip to smaller pieces and fall down into the bottom of the tank and make it even a bigger mess OR it grows and in tangle with the mess and when u pull up the moss it rips and back to the mess again... + you always need to clean with moss -.-

so why yarn? easy to move around, no cleaning needed, wont grow or need to be trim, need me to say more? oh and the big key is it dont need light... =)

#9 ·
the shrimps will eat any eggs they find as they think its a bad egg not knowing that its not one of their's... also you dont need more males/females.... ratio is 1 mal per 2 females is basic the more male you have the more problems you get cause they will fight...

these CPD's are in a 7 gallon tank... 3 CPD's per tank and i have 6 tanks setup...
1 for the fry grow out
1 for the female conditioning tank
4 for CPD breeding....

i get any where from 20-50 eggs per week some fertilize and some not...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.