The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pushing down tank temps

441 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bryanmc1988 
#1 ·
'ello all! I am currently trying to devise various plans for if I own and intend to breed various fish. Among those plans involve fish, such as many North American fish, that need cooling periods in order to spawn.

The idea was that I would have a tank thay would have an insulating material (likely styrofoam) on all the sides except the viewing side, and - when I wanted to cool the tank - would have bottles of frozen tank water added at intervals, being replaced roughly once every 12 hours. I am currently experimenting with that concept in a 5 gallon hexagon I have lying around, which is how I determined that an insulating material would be extremely helpful! :icon_smil

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with pushing tank temperatures down for any reason?

#2 ·
i have done this witha shrimp tank in the past and i can tell you its risky as when u add the frozen water the temp will never be stable it will keep dropping then start raising again which cause can cause stress to the fish if not shock them... be warned...

a wise man once told me, "If your going to do it, Then do it the right way" get your self a chiller (invest in one as you breed then resell it will pay for it self...)

ps if you need more then one tank at the same temp as the ones connected to the chiller then make the tanks all drain to 1 bucket then a pump back to the tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.